• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New project

jslamerman

NAXJA Forum User
Got a new project, a 1991 MJ, 4.0 HO, AX-15, 4wd with a D44 rear and 3" Superlift lift kit (crap!!), no thru rust, but gotta get rid of the surface rust. I am abandoning a Cherokee project I started, but for $700.......... The 5" Rustys lift is being transplanted(front adjustable upper and lowers, and adjustable Rustys trackbar), and Im thinking about adding a short add-a-leaf to the existing Superlift long add-a-leaf, as well as the extended Rustys shackles to balance it. On the to-do-list:
1. Replace leaking power steering pressure hose
2. Replace transfercase output seal on slip yolk
3. Replace brake line from booster along inner frame rail to rear proportioning valve (NO rear brakes at all)
4.Replace oil pump (after warm up runs at just slightly over 20 PSI, it scares me, as its lower than any 4.0 Ive seen), and figure out why the damn dipstick indicates so high for a good 5 minutes after shutdown!?!? (then returns to normal)
5. Install previously mentioned suspension items
6. Install/cut/modify fenders for 35s (have some Rustys flares, havent decided to use them yet?)
7. Install Warn axles, and lockers (dont have gears yet, as Ive stated this is all from a recently abandoned Cherokee project)
8. Install custom front bumper from off of Cherokee

Here are two links, cant figure out how to post pics on this site!
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5cf37b3127cce952bd19150ac00000016108AauW7Jm5ZtT
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5cf37b3127cce952bd66b91fd00000016108AauW7Jm5ZtT

I LOVE THE MJ...

yours

47b5cf37b3127cce952bd66b91fd00000016108AauW7Jm5ZtT

why don't you do a rear spring over, if your going with 5"es of lift up front. That will net you about the same with stock springs.

My project almost complete; 8+"es with 38's and Dana 44's

100_1712.jpg

Dang thats a sweet deal for 700 smackers. :D
20 psi is a perfectly normal oil pressure at idle. If I'm not mistaken, the factory shop manual says 17.
I also vote for the spring-over conversion.
Are you putting
after your photo addresses?
Jeep on!
--Pete

ComancheClub.com

Pete M said:
Dang thats a sweet deal for 700 smackers. :D
20 psi is a perfectly normal oil pressure at idle. If I'm not mistaken, the factory shop manual says 17.

If it was at idle, Id be better, thats at operating temperature, at speed. I think its like 10 at idle. Id spring over (and probably will), its just so much to do at once!! I think the steering box is rocking around on the frame, so CROK got a call today as well......

Ahh ok, I misread your statement. Double check for corrosion at the connection to the sensor and I've had a bad oil filter cause low oil pressure. I don't remember hearing of an oil pump causing a low pressure reading. Usually it's a high mileage engine or a fault in the sensor-to-gauge path.
The spring-over conversion isn't any harder than what you are contemplating. The only big hurdle is welding, and I've heard of guys bolting everything together and driving *slowly* to a local welder to burn on the perches (and maybe mounts depending on how you want to handle them).
Jeep on!
--Pete

ComancheClub.com

Last edited:
I had low oil pressure in my 4.0 and pulled the pan to find one of the bolts that holds the oil pump to the block in the bottom of the pan. The pump was not lined up with the passage on the block. It happens.

i just got an 86 comanche 4.0 longbed as well with 33s. it wasnt driveable with the 33s cuz it only has like a 2 inch lift. they only fit when sitting. lol.so he hooked me up with beat 30s and we drove it home. the only thing it needs is some minor rust repair, im putting in an ax15 and a clutch cuz the peguot is crapping out, it needs rear brake hardlines, and a new windsheild. 120k miles, uncut, idles like its has 10k miles, did i mention i got it for $800 with thoes 33s included? they are BRAN NEW tsl radials 33.10.5. still got the stickers and fuzzies on them. im doing rustys 4.5 lift coils, their adjustable track bar, soa the rear, and making my own control arms and low steer crossover steering. will cost me under 500 for the lift. cant wait.

NHscrambler said:
Nice project but you might want to do something about the drivers side door striker.

Whatre you freakin physcic??? How in the heck???............

Yeah, I thought Id take it to a body shop, have it welded solid, then drill for a new mount.

Gotta get some pics, but its finally going back together!! Found out several interesting tidbits that were EXACTLY as predicted from other board members.
#1 Oil pressure was probably caused by a REALLY leaky oil filter adapter (but replaced the oil pump, screen, sending unit, valve cover and oil pan gaskets as well, shouldnt be a problem now!!)
#2 Damn was there some rust when I removed the carpet!!! Jeesh, Im a sanding like crazy and I hope that the metal is thick enough to hold up (sanded through in 4 small areas so far, but they will easily patch. ). Thats something for what appeared to be solid floorboards!!

Done- gears (4.88), aussie locker in front, detroit in back, alloy shafts in front (30 spline warn outers), Superiors in back (5 on 5.5 shafts), spring pads for springover installed, front adjustable upper and lower control arms installed (I think I pushed the front forward an inch, give or take 1/4 inch either way. It helps center the tire in the well, well see what my calculated adjustments do when I get it on tires and compress that spring, and see if all clears!!). I used 4.5 lift rustys coils in front, and a 3/4 poly spacer (all suspension stuff I had, did not purchase, so I used it) under the stock rubber isolator. I have no idea how the rear will come out, as the PO has a long add a leaf installed as part of the 3" super lift kit (sure didnt look like 3, looked more like 2 or 1 1/2, or the Rustys 4.5 is more like 5.5??), so well see. I installed the greasable lift shackles intending to redrill the shackle hangers forward of the original hole in order to gain a more favorable shackle angle and gain some needed rear flex, well see when I get weight on the rear. Ill post pics soon. Gotta get to sanding!! (I think Im gonna get some Corbeaus and put a cage welded to the frame in, and mount them to the cage, because Im a bit worried about the strength of the floor in some areas. I just hope I can keep a fairly rearward position, and not place the seats too high, as Im 6'6", well see..)

To do still:
Install Crok brace, power steeing line, track bar, and front spindle out goodies (Warn 5.5 kit). Also cut the fronts for flares, and size up 35 xterrains on Soft 8 wheels(15x8, 4 inch backspace), set up next to the front, shouldnt be a problem. Ive got to trim up stock axle retainer plates for use on top on the leaf spring, so as to retain the lower shock mounts, unfortunately at a shorter than ideal length (could be worse, but Ill use the shocks I have until I do some measurements, and figure out what shock configuration I want).

Last edited:
Sounds like it's going well, can't wait to see pics!

If I wasn't dumping all my available funds into my XJ I'd have picked up an MJ by now. I found an auto/longbed local that the guy was thinking $1500 for, but the rear springs, exhuast, battery, and tires are junk and there's some body rust. Wouldn't be an issue since all that stuff would be upgraded anyway, but I'd have to talk him way down on price first. I was thinking of offering him like $700-800 cash for it....

nhrocker said:
Sounds like it's going well, can't wait to see pics!
I found an auto/longbed local that the guy was thinking $1500 for, but the rear springs, exhuast, battery, and tires are junk and there's some body rust. Wouldn't be an issue since all that stuff would be upgraded anyway, but I'd have to talk him way down on price first. I was thinking of offering him like $700-800 cash for it....

I'm currently looking to pick up a project Jeep. Wanted an MJ, but haven't found one that isn't completely trashed. Let me know what happens with the MJ. I have a line on a 4.0XJ, but could realy go for an MJ.

I may actually sell it.............................I found a tow rig, and at this point, with all the projects sitting around, THAT is what I need.

jslamerman said:
I may actually sell it.............................I found a tow rig, and at this point, with all the projects sitting around, THAT is what I need.

Where 'yat in Maine?

Trucks in my shop in Brunswick, ME. I got a killer deal on all the parts, Id take a discount off of them (basically sell it for what I have in it, less a few hundred, labor and dealin free)

Back