• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sound bar

generalleexj

NAXJA Forum User
i never knew that some XJ's came with a soundbar, i like this, and i was wondering if anyone put a sound bar in their xj that didnt come with one origionally, and when you put it in did you just put extra speakers in, or did you put the speakers from the tail gate in them, i would like to put extra speakers in it and keep the old ones in the tail gate also, is this hard, and where would i get the sound bar from, sorry for all the questions, im just wondering though

and if so do you have any pictures ?

my other question was can i just cut the wires going to the hatch, and put one of the blue connecters on it that make the 1 wire go in to 2 wires. then run one to the hatch and one one to the sound bar, that way i can have 4 speakers in the back. or would this cut the power going to the speakers in half ? just a thought thanks agian

My 99 has the "sound bar" but its integrated into the headliner. Is this what your taking about? Seems like alot of work for not much benefit.

Sometime before 99 the soundbar was a separate piece. I know it was separate in 96, and thought I'd heard that it stayed that way through at least 97 or even 98. Ther are no speakers in the rear hatch in mine, although the mounts are still there.
Looks like this and has been discussed several times in the last few weeks both here and in OEM Tech:
soundbar.jpg

I'm not 100% but I think 94 was the first year it was optional but I do know that 97 was the last year before it became integrated with the headliner in 98.

A) It's easy (if you have a cargo light)
B) yes, you can run all 4 speakers (it creates a "bypass") I would not recomment this, unless you are running an external amp or you HU can handle the power pull (most units are meant for 4 speakers).
The wires (as i im sure you've found) are in the drivers side compartment, just before the lights.

right now Chrysler is trying to clear out the cherokee sound bar. they are about 47.00 cost to the dealer and chrysler is setting the list at 47.00. no the dealer is not making anything on these bar's if sold at the list price. This is common for chrysler and i have seen at least 6 times for the cherokee alone. I worked a 2 different chrylser/jeep/dodge dealerships in the past 4 years.

I just added on to my 91 xj that had the rear speakers. the new sound bar is complete with speakers and wiring harness. the harness plugs into the existing stereo harness and yes all 4 rear speakers work. I will post the p/n as soon as i find the receipt. is it very easy to install and took me about an hour included removing and reinstalling my custom toolbox. i can get pics if you like.

Dingo

p.s. When Chrysler sells these speaker bars out that's it there gone.

I already had one, but I moved it up (behind the driver's seat)so i could hear the tunes while driving with the windows down on the highway. Also replaced the speakers.

So will the $47 sound bar from the dealer work on the older style say 93 cherokee's. If so i think i will stop by my local friendly jeep dealership tomarrow.
this sounds like a good mod (pun).

Im not sure installing a sound bar is worth the benefit i just installed some new 5.25 pioneers in my 01 xj along with a new pioneer head unit at 50x4 watts and new door speakers everything is great except the rear sound bar ,they sound terrible not much better then stock . Any ideas how to fix this? Dont mean to steal your thread but kinda along the same lines.

I did that, thanks i remembered that after i posted he's on the stereo stuff big time

can't find the receipt right now but i will tomorrow after i get home. IRC the p/n is 82207666 for the grey at last i knew (about 2 weeks ago) there was about 240 left nationwide. also what kind of pics do you want? i have to borrow a camera.

Also it should fit from 84-at least 96 at least the bar itself, it did plug into my 91 so it should plug in from at least 91-96. before or after that may have a different plug.

It makes a big difference in volume and with all six speakers has a slight echo like a concert, and so far it does work fine with the factory deck. i was worried about the total speaker resistance. for 47.00 it is definatly worth it.
Just remember that the dealer may not want to sell it to you at chrysler's list because they don't make anything. if the first dealer woun't sell it that way then try another dealer. ANY Jeep, Dodge, Chrysler, Plymouth dealer can get these parts.

Dingo

as far as fixing the sound try a couple of foam speaker baffles. There fairly inexpensive. and they sure can't hurt. also a small amount of holofill (sp?) like they use in big sub boxes could probably be added. while you're getting the foam baffles get a set for the front door speakers to as they are also waterproof. keeps the water that runs down the window channel from dripping right them. I did this on an old 69 blazer i had and it made a noticanle difference in sound quality. probably because the doors where just on big steel resonator. im not much of a audiophile but the foam baffles worked for me.

Dingo

Just cut some holes to add 2 more speakers. It will be much cheaper. And crimp splices are never a good idea for audio quality. If you want to splice, solder the wires and cover with heat-shrink.

I thought about the just cutting holes and adding speakers, but that will look hack unless you spend lots of $$ and will be alot of work also. For $47 it comes with 2 speakers and a dome lite, and is made to fit so it will look nice and if you position it right nobody will know it wasn't stock and just assume jeep knows how to build good sound systems.

coderedxj said:
My 99 Cherokee Classic has the "sound bar" in the rear cargo too. It sounds pretty good, much better than the rear hatch speakers in my 90 xj.
99 XJ's don't have an OEM sound bar. The speaker mounts are incorporated into the headliner.

okay i found the receipt the p/n for the gray sound bar complete with speakers and wiring harness is;

It does not come with a dome light but does include a hardware kit to relocate the domelight which holds up the center of the speaker bar.

Dingo

Back