NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old September 18th, 2019, 09:02
NAXJA Member

replacing seals around window...

complete newb question was trying out a different rune profile on my motor last night, and noticed that the seals -- the exterior rubber whether stripping that frames the window-- around the door windows are all shot (I had rolled my truck two years ago, the doors are all donors). since I've replaced everything else on the dammed thing, may as well replace those. Never done it before, prefer not to use the trial-and-error method. what's involved in doing this? where can I buy new seals?

Trail ride: 1988 XJ: Motor/plumbing/electrical: '19 ZZ6 350 sbc, 405HP/405 lb-ft; holly performer EPS, Terminator EFI, headers, novak aluminum radiator; MSD ignition
Drive train: d30 front, F8.8 rear, 4.11 gears, np242 transfer case, rusty under-armor; fully locked with detroit lockers; Chevy 700r4 tranny, 35" MT's
Old September 18th, 2019, 11:38
NAXJA Forum User

Re: replacing seals around window...

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+replace...j+window+seals
Old September 18th, 2019, 11:38
NAXJA Forum User

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZeCWaM5nIk
Old September 18th, 2019, 11:59
NAXJA Member

I just replaced mine and got the seals on teamcherokee.com. Good fitment, nice and flexible too, definitely better than the 25 year old torn ones I had. I was replacing window glass at the same time, so I had the entire window and wing window assembly out, it was a very simple exercise at that point.

They just clip into place, no glue or anything, so it is just a matter of persuading the old seals out and getting the new ones lined up properly.
Old September 18th, 2019, 12:54
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg222 View Post
complete newb question was trying out a different rune profile on my motor last night, and noticed that the seals -- the exterior rubber whether stripping that frames the window-- around the door windows are all shot (I had rolled my truck two years ago, the doors are all donors). since I've replaced everything else on the dammed thing, may as well replace those. Never done it before, prefer not to use the trial-and-error method. what's involved in doing this? where can I buy new seals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmyers View Post
I haven't shelled out the coin to do this, but I've read once replaced it's common for the doors to take a bit more effort to shut. Just fyi if you do and it's not as you remembered.
Old September 18th, 2019, 13:56
NAXJA Member

The Uchannel felt that is on the sides of the window, is fairly generic and is available cheap at rockauto.com

The wipe seals is a bit harder to find. rockauto used to have it but I haven't checked lately.
Old September 19th, 2019, 08:32
NAXJA Member

thanks!

Trail ride: 1988 XJ: Motor/plumbing/electrical: '19 ZZ6 350 sbc, 405HP/405 lb-ft; holly performer EPS, Terminator EFI, headers, novak aluminum radiator; MSD ignition
Drive train: d30 front, F8.8 rear, 4.11 gears, np242 transfer case, rusty under-armor; fully locked with detroit lockers; Chevy 700r4 tranny, 35" MT's