NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old July 28th, 2019, 15:11
NAXJA Forum User

New stock height suspension

After being without a Jeep for the last 5 or 6 years I bought a 2001 XJ Sport that has a good interior and body. Up here in WI everything is so rusted out. The bad is that the rear springs are completely shot; inverted by an inch or more just sitting int he driveway. It has a 2" front spring spacer and an unknown extended rear shackle. It also appears to have shocks that are too long and about dead.

I want to replace all the suspension with 0-1" lift good quality springs. I had an OME kit with all JKS components on my last XJ. I want to keep this one closer to stock while still improving its ride and handling holes/ruts on forest service roads.

What does everyone recommend these days? Spring options?
Shocks... Gabriel Ultra/Max Control, Bilstein 4600, KYB...?

Thanks for the help while I get this rig up to par.
Old July 28th, 2019, 15:32
Freakish Hand Strength

Re: New stock height suspension

If the coils are not sagged, keep running them with suitable spacers. I might have a set of low mileage stock UpCountry +1 coils in the shed. I have had good results with Rustys 4x4 lift coils, but you would have to buy the +2 inch coils. Moog cc782 sare a decent +1 inch UpCountry like replacement coil. Crown Automotive Heavy Duty leaf springs are +1 inch taller and are similar to the stock UpCountry leaf springs. DeotschTech DT-3000 are very reasonable, Bilstein 4600 give a smooth, controlled, and a bit firmer than stock ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

Go ahead and slam the liftgate down on a blanket, and see how long you are laughing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soyjer

Tim MAY be 100% correct, but why would a person automatically pick him as the expert .....

Last edited by Tim_MN; July 29th, 2019 at 08:14.
Old July 28th, 2019, 16:01
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_MN View Post
I might have a set of low mileage stock UpCountry +1 coils in the shed.
What would you want for the UpCountry springs? That is the package my last XJ had, well until I changed everything. Wouldn't mind having that old factory skid either.

What about rear leafs? Those are priority.
Old July 28th, 2019, 16:40
NAXJA Member

There was a thread on this recently. I had rough results with the Crown springs, they were spottily painted and sagged into an S shape within a few years despite little load. I'm looking at General Spring this time around, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.
Old August 6th, 2019, 23:41
NAXJA Forum User

I just did my '00 couple week with Moog CC782 coils, shocks, Husky/General 755# leafs w/ OME D22XL, NOS MJ shackles, and Ironman4x4fab UCA and LCA (did axle side bushings too) with very positive results. I will post pictures up of before and after if I can figure it out.
Old August 7th, 2019, 00:14
NAXJA Forum User

Rides like Brand-used now after 21 years.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
Old August 7th, 2019, 17:13
NAXJA Member

Hard to tell but the leaves in that picture look pretty flat. Are they? The rear lift height looks perfect. Beautiful XJ too btw.
Old August 7th, 2019, 18:24
NAXJA Forum User

The leaf packs were flat almost immediately after installation without the OME add-a-leaf. I've since put in a request to Husky/Dayton Spring for a warranty and or refund. The full length AAL really smoothed out the ride quality and firmed it quite nicely also. Thanks for the compliment, it lived in CO most its life before the drive to live in the rust belt.

Old August 7th, 2019, 18:25
NAXJA Forum User

Forgot to say that there is some added arch with the AAL, for how long will be the question, but I have faith it'll last a while.

Old August 8th, 2019, 18:31
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by asymptonic View Post
There was a thread on this recently. I had rough results with the Crown springs, they were spottily painted and sagged into an S shape within a few years despite little load. I'm looking at General Spring this time around, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Do you know what part number Crown you bought/got?

Crown sells (believe it or not) 6 different XJ leafs. There are only 2 that I use/sell/recommend.

4886185AA - stock height replacements
4886186AA - new stock height + 1 3/4" (equivalent to UpCountry springs)

All the rest (even if labeled heavy duty) are not what I'd suggest...those are mostly light duty for 2wd or no optioned setups.

I've had those on 3 of my XJ's, for years, and they held up great. I've sold a few hundred sets of them over the years locally and those are my findings.
Old August 8th, 2019, 20:19
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrTxJ View Post
Do you know what part number Crown you bought/got?

Crown sells (believe it or not) 6 different XJ leafs. There are only 2 that I use/sell/recommend.

4886185AA - stock height replacements
4886186AA - new stock height + 1 3/4" (equivalent to UpCountry springs)

All the rest (even if labeled heavy duty) are not what I'd suggest...those are mostly light duty for 2wd or no optioned setups.

I've had those on 3 of my XJ's, for years, and they held up great. I've sold a few hundred sets of them over the years locally and those are my findings.

Just pulled up the order history, it was the Crown 4886185AB, so the stock heights.
Old August 9th, 2019, 13:22
NAXJA Forum User

Shawn, why did you go with the Ironman control arms for stock suspension? I had adjustable arms on my 98’ with an OME 3” lift and JKS components but don’t see the need at factory height.

When the 98’ was still on the factory springs I swapped in WJ arms for tire clearance, plus they are boxed instead of the stamped sheet metal.

I ended up going with Moog coils and Dorman leafs, both heavy duty (supposedly UpCountry heights). I also bought new rear shackles to get rid of the cheap lift shackles, u-bolts, coil isolators and Gabriel Max-Control shocks for all 4 corners. I know Bilstein are nice but I am trying to keep this XJ on a budget, it is going to be a daily 99.5% of the time. Where as my 98’ was strictly a weekend trailer rig.

It is tempting to replace the tie rods and trac-bar while I have it pulled apart but I feel like I am biting off more than I can chew in one project. Already have the rear main, oil pump and rear U-joints planned at the same time.
Old August 10th, 2019, 20:34
NAXJA Forum User

I got the springs yesterday and was surprised by what I got. They are the same part number but were made in two different countries, Mexico and Columbia. You can see that the Columbia product seems to be of better quality. The Mexico springs taper to a thinner edge and are cut square instead of having the corners trimmed to reduce friction.

I am afraid that one will have a different loaded height or shorter life than the other. So I ordered a third spring in hopes of getting one that gives me a matched pair. I am really hoping for the Columbia made version. Guess I will see.

Old August 11th, 2019, 07:38
NAXJA Member

Looks like those images didn't come through. Can you tell me what the free arch of the Dormans are?
Old August 11th, 2019, 09:31
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrwphoto View Post
Shawn, why did you go with the Ironman control arms for stock suspension? I had adjustable arms on my 98’ with an OME 3” lift and JKS components but don’t see the need at factory height.

When the 98’ was still on the factory springs I swapped in WJ arms for tire clearance, plus they are boxed instead of the stamped sheet metal.

I ended up going with Moog coils and Dorman leafs, both heavy duty (supposedly UpCountry heights). I also bought new rear shackles to get rid of the cheap lift shackles, u-bolts, coil isolators and Gabriel Max-Control shocks for all 4 corners. I know Bilstein are nice but I am trying to keep this XJ on a budget, it is going to be a daily 99.5% of the time. Where as my 98’ was strictly a weekend trailer rig.

It is tempting to replace the tie rods and trac-bar while I have it pulled apart but I feel like I am biting off more than I can chew in one project. Already have the rear main, oil pump and rear U-joints planned at the same time.
I chose them because they collapsed to factory length and with the ACOS, OME coils and CS033RB packs I'll need them so I did it in advance.