NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old November 9th, 2019, 12:54
NAXJA Member

Re: rear view camera mount to go over large spare tire -- fabbed and installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg222 View Post
there are a bunch of high quality, 12" , full screen 1440p (2k) mirrors on amazon.
I went with Karsuite

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
dropped this rear view camera mirror in, impressed with it -- screen is high quality, camera is excellent (1440p resolution). Only downside is that there's no "off" switch, but it plugs in at the mirror with a standard mini usb, and I may just solder in a micro switch. Here's how the screen looks:

Trail ride: 1988 XJ: Motor/plumbing/electrical: '19 ZZ6 350 sbc, 405HP/405 lb-ft; holly performer EPS, Terminator EFI, headers, novak aluminum radiator; MSD ignition
Drive train: d30 front, F8.8 rear, 4.11 gears, np242 transfer case, rusty under-armor; fully locked with detroit lockers; Chevy 700r4 tranny, 35" MT's
Old November 9th, 2019, 16:00
NAXJA Member

My rear view camera unit has two power on lines going into it, one is powered by the reverse lights when I put it in reverse, the second is on a switch that I have next to the shifter. I simply push the button and the backup camera turns on. It was pretty easy to setup.
Old November 9th, 2019, 21:13
NAXJA Member

Yeah, this one has a wire that will trip from a positive edge switch (e.g. reverse lights or sinple.toggle switch), and will draw in dynamic backup lines. It also had an auto turn off feature that shuts out down after awhile if no moving video. I'd like a nice hardware switch though... amazon sells ine for $5 that is a usb extension with a built in on/off switch. Other than that minor gripe, the mirror is great.

Trail ride: 1988 XJ: Motor/plumbing/electrical: '19 ZZ6 350 sbc, 405HP/405 lb-ft; holly performer EPS, Terminator EFI, headers, novak aluminum radiator; MSD ignition
Drive train: d30 front, F8.8 rear, 4.11 gears, np242 transfer case, rusty under-armor; fully locked with detroit lockers; Chevy 700r4 tranny, 35" MT's
Old November 13th, 2019, 18:01
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajabronco View Post
My rear view camera unit has two power on lines going into it, one is powered by the reverse lights when I put it in reverse, the second is on a switch that I have next to the shifter. I simply push the button and the backup camera turns on. It was pretty easy to setup.
What rear view mirror are you using?

That's a super super slick idea. Do you think that if you got a 3 pos switch and a second camera that you could put one on the front and use it like the new Jeeps?
92 MJ AW4 2wd, 97 mirrors. Future 4wd swap, 242, MJ 44, Eliminator Roll bar, Bucket seats, 97+ console
Old November 14th, 2019, 07:42
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose_XJ88 View Post
What rear view mirror are you using?

That's a super super slick idea. Do you think that if you got a 3 pos switch and a second camera that you could put one on the front and use it like the new Jeeps?
They pretty much all have the same thing... reverse trip wire that wires into reverse lights. I didn't wire it in, because I want it on pretty much all the time. most of them also have a wire you clip if you want the camera to include back up lanes, and another wire you clip to turn of reverse image (if you want the camera in the front)

If you want to multiplex the cameras, just get a rca mux.. amazon has tiny ones. These cameras have fairly standard outputs.. usually they're a micro 5-pin, and come with an adapter that separate it to a standard RCA video and DC input. (something like this -- though I'm sure there's something smaller out there : https://www.amazon.com/CIMPLE-CO-Sel...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==)

The one I posted also has a front facing camera behind the mirror.. the mirror itself is a touch screen, swipe to the right once and it switches to front camera, swipe to the right again, and it switches to a split screen front/rear (basically the mirror is a mirror-shaped smartphone, swipe down and an options list comes up for resolution, recording (uses microsd to record) and other stuff)

I also wired in one of those tiny his res (2100x1024) under the front bumper, into my head unit to see oncoming rocks.. thinking of also putting on on t cross member facing the front diff, cameras are cheap enough won't be a big deal if it gets ripped off.

Here's the mirror showing the rear view camera, and the front view camera on the head unit:

and side-by-side mode on the mirror, streaming front and rear camera:

Last edited by jmg222; November 14th, 2019 at 17:09.