• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP-Possible Montrose Trail Closures!!!

Sonic Pfish

NAXJA Member #1292
Hey, there my XJ driving four wheelin' brothers in the states. I live in Montrose, Colorado (Home of some nationally renown Trails) and the Western Slope Four Wheelers group needs your help! The greenies are at it again and the BLM is doing a travel management plan for the Dry Creek area which houses Die Trying, Cactus 1&2, Scratch & Dent, Calamity, and Topless Trails, and are considering trail closures. Not only can it happen...but they have already closed parts of Calamity and the Unamed Soldier and Clutch Creek Trails South of town. We are organizing to fight the plans to close the other trails and would strongly urge any and all that wheel our Montrose trails, or would ever like to in the future to go to this web site (www.blm.gov/co/st/en/fo/ufo.html) and fill out there Travel Alternative survey, indicating that you want the trails to remain open. They are requesting that all who comment choose one of four plans and the form is confusing. One has to look at the maps they provide to figure out what they call our trails. Best we can determine here is a list of the trails you want to keep and name them in your comments by both the BLM# and the wheelin' name ok. Here we go. Keep Trail #262 (Boulder Canyon, Alternative 4) which is something newly created but already shut down. It would be an awesome trail from what I understand! Keep trail #1121 (Upper Cactus, Alternative 4). Keep Trail #1081 (Upper Scratch & Dent, Alternative 4), Keep Trails 643+648 (Lower Scratch & Dent, Alternative 4). Keep Trail #1123 (Topless II, Alternative 4). Keep Trail #492 (Die Trying, Alternative 4), Keep Trail #489 Cactus, Alternative 4). Best the locals can tell, plan four leaves most everything untouched, though they have seen fit that we will lose something in all the available options. Please if you care about wheeling in Colorado or for that matter , those of you who might here of this that live in other states, please comment. I think the form can be e-mailed to BLM, or it can be printed and mailed snail mail, or even an overwhelming of the BLM here in Montrose by general e-mail and phone calls may have the desired affect. One thing is for sure, do nothing, and we will lose these great trails to those who want to shut it down to walk-in access only! If you have any questions or require detailed information on the matter please contact Alpine Offroad in Montrose at (970) 240-9000. Please Spread the Word and thanks in advance for your help!

Back