• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gates Rubber Garbage

JeepNoob

NAXJA Forum User
Bought a new Gates serpentine belt (don't have the exact part number off-hand) from O'Smellys' to replace my old... I don't even know who made this thing, all the letterings worn off. Wish I did though because the damn thing ACTUALLY FITS.

The new Gates one though... Before somebody jumps in and tells me I'm an idiot, yes I checked the belt routing, yes I've replaced serpentine belts before, yes I had the power steering pump tensioner bolt backed off. Like, all the way. And the top mounting bolt removed.

Damn belt was still like an inch too short, and probably more like 2. It would not go on. At all. Not for cussing, not for prying, not for trying to get the belt halfway on a pulley and then rotating it, NOT NOTHING.

After trying to get the damn thing on for the SECOND day in a row, I finally just hurled it into the ****it bucket. Yay, 40-plus dollars down the tube... Put the old belt on and THAT felt right. A little snug going over the water pump pulley, tension 'er down.

Gonna probably try an OMIX-ADA belt next. I've used their stuff in the past and the fit and quality seems to be really good. Avoid this Gates junk like the plague.

So working at a Napa I know this happens. Not often but does from time to time.
Brand new part is just packaged wrong.
Did you compare it to the old belt?
Not super accurate cause I am sure the old belt has stretched.
The good Napa belts are rebranded Gates. What I run on my '00 XJ with a 4.0.
The part number is 25060950.
The 6 stands for how many ribs and the 95 for the circumference.
If you still had your belt I would tell you to measure it.
Gates part number proper for my Jeep is K060950.
So what I wrote above about the Napa belt applies to the Gates.

It sounds like you got the wrong belt for your application, you didn't say what year you have? Ralph is correct for a 2000, that's what I used to run until I installed a PSC pulley then I had to change to a K060935 (93.5")

It sounds like you got the wrong belt for your application, you didn't say what year you have? Ralph is correct for a 2000, that's what I used to run until I installed a PSC pulley then I had to change to a K060935 (93.5")

Well I did assume he got the right belt but..... LOL.

rather than toss the new belt, why not return it for refund or exchange?

1. It p***ed me off THAT BAD.

2. I don't want the next guy getting a part that doesn't work for him.

3. O'Smelly's is kinda "eh" about returns on parts that you installed. Or tried to install. I don't think they would look very kindly on the small chips and chunks out of the belt from me trying to poke and prod and slip the thing over a pulley with big-a** screwdriver.

1. It p***ed me off THAT BAD.

2. I don't want the next guy getting a part that doesn't work for him.

3. O'Smelly's is kinda "eh" about returns on parts that you installed. Or tried to install. I don't think they would look very kindly on the small chips and chunks out of the belt from me trying to poke and prod and slip the thing over a pulley with big-a** screwdriver.

Assuming it was packaged wrong wouldn't matter at my store.
We just defect it.
If you got sold the wrong part wouldn't matter assuming the counter guy looked it up.
At my store you can tell by the receipt.
If the application and part number is listed on the receipt it means the counter guy looked it up.
If just the part number is there that means the customer walked in with the part number.

Gates part number for what I had is K061025. Didn't seem like it was packaged wrong. And their website says it'll fit '89 XJ s***boxes with a 4.0. Seemed to be about the same length as the old belt, so I've no idea why it wouldn't go on. I've got a different sized pulley somewhere? Thing was just that much thicker? Like, I said, I've no idea aside from the fact that it just WOULD. NOT. FIT. Kinda glad it didn't. If I had be able to, I probably would've burned up a bearing somewhere in short order.

Omix-ada is crap China parts, a last resort for me.

save urself some headache.
I have not removed anything to pull the belt in years now.
you can slide it on and off at the middle pulley. it is smooth :)
this will make sense the first time you do it. Literally saved me sooo much time in the last few years.

Did you read the Gates link I posted?

"Using the 6PK1003 example above, we know this is a 6-rib belt with an effective length of 1,003 mm, and an outside circumference of 1,017 mm."

I see now what you are talking about lower on the page but still confused.
I really don't know how long the belt is in my '00 but it is pretty long.
95" inches is about 8'. I can see the belt being 4' in length.
95" calculates to about 2400 mm so I am confused by the measurements on that website.

Man wish I could edit here.
I just realized something the example is not an XJ belt.
So of course it is not going to match the specs I posted.

Yes this on my 2000 4.0 XJ! All that matters here is how Gates and others measure their belts!!!

Back