• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1 Ton Blue XJ

BlueRockRash

NAXJA Forum User
i wanted to start a build thread for my jeep now that its getting tons swapped into it...

well i had a rough rubicon run memorial day and stripped out my dana 30 pinion. i was on 4.88 gears and gave it a little to much skinny pedal up soup bowl and over the hole trip actually..

PZ9ymvrl.jpg

the pinion went on the way back to ellis from buck i suspect that soup bowl was what did most of the damage

0YOMjt8l.jpg

GPkBywql.jpg

I have a video of me getting up it!! I guess i took a different line than most do..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsN0ONkPAP8

Here is some other pics from the trip

qJGJcNcl.jpg

1aAPzSpl.jpg

LtvdI7ql.jpg

sSH8vgNl.jpg

sEbgmlwl.jpg

Never a good trip when you come home with your carrier and shafts in your jeep....

SoEOkTtl.jpg

Well i also added a diff gaurd for my rear diff the type that bolts over you stock cover but i didnt swap the bolts out to longer ones.. on the trail i peeled the cover off dragging it over rocks and lost about 8 bolts from my cover....well i wasnt able to properly re seal the diff because the cover is bent so i had a costant leak from my rear diff... Well driving my rig to work on the freeway i let the fluid run dry and my rear end locked up on me.... Stupid me for neglecting the rear end fluid stupid 44a for being aluminum...

04GzWXrl.jpg

ran it bone dry

xpA69YWl.jpg

well i dont plan on fixing my dana 30 and 44a i am going to be running a 14 bolt rear axle which i picked up Saturaday it is out of a Van so its 70 inches wide and came with a ruff stuff cover!

HDjpWeLl.jpg

I want to 4 link my rear end i already have the rear crossmember on the jeep

jcqOReQl.jpg

The front is 3 linked all custom by RK Specialties it has a passenger side upper with 7/8 heims and the lowers are 1 1/4 heims from Ruffstuff

Before i painted the links and got the ZJ driveline

EecA1ERl.jpg

Come down to West Sac and give me a hand with Junk and I will show you what not to do.

70" WMS is stupid wide. Although I think you should be able to pull it in to a more reasonable 66" if it has SRW hubs on/with it now.

Yes it has SRW hubs on it but most Driver drop 60s are 69 inches wide so can i narrow those as well?

I got the 14 bolt for 150 with a ruff stuff cover. the axle needs to be rebuilt im going to regear and lock as well

yeah I wouldn't really worry about the axle being that wide. just run 5.5 or 5" back space wheels. You'll actually end up narrower than if it was a normal 67.5" 14 bolt with 3.5" back space wheels or something like that. I don't recommend H2's though. go for a nice alloy beadlock, maybe KMC. worth every penny to be lightweight

or just rebuild the 30 and sell the 14B

I'd have to rebuild the 44a and the 30 not worth spending the money on it when I want to go bigger and I keep breaking u joints. Plus I want to to wheel without thinking of my dana 30 everything I spin a tire

I'd have to rebuild the 44a and the 30 not worth spending the money on it when I want to go bigger and I keep breaking u joints. Plus I want to to wheel without thinking of my dana 30 everything I spin a tire

yeah. Just make sure you go at least 39s. my 37s have the shaved 14b dragging

Last edited:
39's are the way to go, but if it means skimping on other necessary upgrades in order to afford them I say eff that. tire size is the least important thing on a build. I've seen 39's and 42's fail where well set up 35's walk

Jon just needs to shave his 14 :D

tmr customs makes a great shave kit.
i turned the ring gear on my lathe so i could use the max shave, but they have a mini shave kit that lets you use a standard size ring gear.
don't forget to get a ruffstuff dif cover, pinion guard, & caliper mounts while your at it.

Already got the cover with the axle! I want to run a pinion gaurd that is attached to the truss a couple company's make them. Do you think that helps?

Already got the cover with the axle! I want to run a pinion gaurd that is attached to the truss a couple company's make them. Do you think that helps?

if you look at my build thread i have some pics of the artec truss i mounted to the housing. instead of adding a mount to the pinion guard or diff cover i welded plate from the housing top right above the diff cover edge to the truss which solidly locked it all in place. my link mounts are on top of the truss.
that seemed much simpler that the pinion bracket mount.

if you look at my build thread i have some pics of the artec truss i mounted to the housing. instead of adding a mount to the pinion guard or diff cover i welded plate from the housing top right above the diff cover edge to the truss which solidly locked it all in place. my link mounts are on top of the truss.
that seemed much simpler that the pinion bracket mount.

I have looked over your build multiple times i am planning on copying your boat sides rockers.. i want to chop them at the same height you did

I have looked over your build multiple times i am planning on copying your boat sides rockers.. i want to chop them at the same height you did

i cut about 2" off the bottom of the doors. perfect amount so when you break a window all the glass chunks just fall out the open bottom. :rolleyes:

PEudiL5l.jpg

vPa3kHWl.jpg

Small updates i got the tires sold and the front axle pulled

nJG8KrLl.jpg

Dana 30 will be for sale with steeing and lockrite locker dana 30 needs 1 new hub and a new ring a pinion

jucHLTvl.jpg

i am also suppose to be picking this truss up for the 14 bolt tuesday after work

IIXkEBGl.png

Back