• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anyone mount spare gas tank to factory tire carrier

dandecicco

NAXJA Forum User
I need to mount a spare gas tank and was going to use the factory rear tire carrier. I am planning an extended trip back country this smmer and need more fuel. Has anyone done this and anyone have pictures of it? thanks!

I am going to assume that you mean a spare gas can, not tank, and by the factory rear tire carrier you mean inside the vehicle against the driver side of the vehicle as you were pretty vauge, but I wouldn't suggest carrying gasoline inside of the vehicle (except to a gas station and back home) incase it leaks or is spilled because that could cause some major problems in any kind of an accident. Tie a can down outside of the vehicle somewhere if you need more fuel.

If you are talking about the factory outside the rear spare tire carrier I do not believe that it would take the extra weight of a five gallon gerry can. If that is what you are asking. What you might be able to do is carry a gerry can or two on roof racks. If you have some or some way to make a roof rack. or maybe you can find some type of a low profile gas can that would be easier to carry on the roof. I to am assuming that you mean a gas can and not a gas tank.

Sorry, made sense in my head. I ment the rear external factory swing out carrier. I have seen others put the spare and a gas tank on it, but couldn't figure out how they attached it and if it held up on the trail. Thanks for input.

I do have a conferr roof rack so I can always put them up there, but worried about COG on doing that.

Steelerfan said:
If you are talking about the factory outside the rear spare tire carrier I do not believe that it would take the extra weight of a five gallon gerry can.
A stock 7" steel Jeep wheel weighs 26lbs. The average 31" tire weighs 40lbs. Thats 66lbs.
Gas weighs between 6 and 7 pounds per gallon depending on temperature. 7lbsx5gallons=35lbs of gas. My steel 5 gallon Jerrycan weighs 20lbs. Filled with gas that's 55lbs, still less than the 66lbs of a stock wheel with 31's. I have seen several people run 31's on the stock spare carrier. The largest I saw was a 33 on the stock carrier. I think it could hold a 5 gallon jerry can full of gas.
B.

Back