• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Hydraulic Assist Questions

THE_OWL

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone running a Hydro Assist on their XJs ?
I was wondering what point you used to mount the other end (not the drag link side)
Any Pics ?
thanks for the help

HUMMER_BANNER_H2.jpg

The draglink runs from the pitman arm (on your steering box) to the passenger side knuckle. The tie-rod ties the two steering arms together, that's usually where one would mount a ram.

WTF is this guy talking about? Do you mean fully hydraulic steering? The subject is hydraulic assist questions........... And it's not 'hydro' as that means water, it's hydra as in hydraulics.

Full hydraulic steering is: orbital valve, pump, filter(s), cooler, cylinder (usually double ended self-centering).

Hydraulic assist is: steering box (duh), pump, cooler, draglink, tie-rod, cylinder.

My ram is mounted at the tube joint where the long side meets the center section. I used a 1.5 dia x 8" stroke x 1.125 shaft ram from www.surpluscenter.com, it's made by Chief.

Good luck.... :D

The comment was sarcasm :rolleyes:
The draglink runs from the pitman arm (on your steering box) to the passenger side knuckle. The tie-rod ties the two steering arms together, that's usually where one would mount a ram.
was just a little too simplified to not poke fun at.
I know what and where a drag link is, and what and where a tie rod is. cmon
And my Drag doesnt run to the knuckle, it runs to the tierod. But my question was, where are they bieng mounted
I guess I should have worded it a little different.

vintagespeed said:
WTF is this guy talking about? Do you mean fully hydraulic steering? The subject is hydraulic assist questions........... And it's not 'hydro' as that means water, it's hydra as in hydraulics.

Full hydraulic steering is: orbital valve, pump, filter(s), cooler, cylinder (usually double ended self-centering).

Hydraulic assist is: steering box (duh), pump, cooler, draglink, tie-rod, cylinder.

My ram is mounted at the tube joint where the long side meets the center section. I used a 1.5 dia x 8" stroke x 1.125 shaft ram from www.surpluscenter.com, it's made by Chief.

Good luck.... :D

hydra/hydro = fluid

the difference is mechanics of our bastard language, and nothing more.

most that run a setup like this mount the other end of the ram to the axle tube.

THE_OWL said:
The comment was sarcasm :rolleyes:

was just a little too simplified to not poke fun at.
I know what and where a drag link is, and what and where a tie rod is. cmon
And my Drag doesnt run to the knuckle, it runs to the tierod. But my question was, where are they bieng mounted
I guess I should have worded it a little different.

Be more specific and maybe we can give you a hand...

"Where are they being mounted" gives us nothing to work with.

Are you trying to mount the ram? I'm lost.

Back