• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Colorado B/S Thread

Re: The Colorado BS thread

Looking at the 2019 3500 tradesmen with the aisin and HO 6.7 ... my truck runs well but it is getting close to 200k and I just want a truck that only needs me to turn the key and go for another 100-200k miles without wondering what might need replaced . They keep bumping up the power of these 6.7 I'm really curious how their reliability is vs my 1st gen 6.7 ...lol... b4 I trade it in and jump into another 700 monthly payment only to want to possibly set it on fire .

Don't do it. New Cummins are junk. Aisin trans is better, but all the Chrysler ram Fiat crap whatever is garbage. Just had like 4 6.7s in all with the same turbo problem. $6k for new turbo. $5k is just the parts.

Don't do it. New Cummins are junk. Aisin trans is better, but all the Chrysler ram Fiat crap whatever is garbage. Just had like 4 6.7s in all with the same turbo problem. $6k for new turbo. $5k is just the parts.

They keep pushing up the hp/trq on these b series diesels and it's probablynot helping the longevity of the motors ...lol... they're getting numbers out of 408 cubic inches that are close to 8-900 cubic inches on the semi trucks and semi trucks are loafing on power since they're built to last more than 100k miles . I'll just keep what I got and add some bling to it ...lol... I'm told by my dad that buying a new diesel that only tows a toy is not wise spending...he might be right ;-)

Ordering suspension parts for the Dodge ... 5 inch lift ...maybe swap the bumper for an aftermarket, but I'm not sold on the look vs stock bumper it always looks like the aftermarket bumpers don't look as good as factory on these trucks . And probably going with 22x12 wheel on 35-37 ... might run my still run my almost new 35s . Going for the wide not much tire under the fender look . And a 4:56 gear swap from the 3:73 ... I just got bored with thecstock look after 9 years of owning it and don't want to buy a new truck with a 5 year payment on a truck that only tows a toy , so time turn the Dodge into another constant project...lol

Cracks me up how drivers will take i80 knowing it's goimg to close and In true Wyoming fashion close for 24 hrs or more ...vs just chaining on 70

I'm kinda pissed off with HTP...lol... I had destroyed a mug gum with flex neck a year ago trying to " remove" the diffuser tip , which I was unsuccessful and only succeeded in cracking most of the gun . Well on my new 15ft flex neck HTP gun I boogered a thread on the diffuser tip , so I ordered two new diffuser tips from usaweld they show the guns flex and standard, well they don't say you can't just swap the diffuser tip off like most any mig gun , but rather you must replace the entire flex neck since instead of threaded on diffuser tip it's one giant molded piece crimped onto the copper instead of having a threaded end to easily and cheaply replAce a diffuser tip , which I get for my hobart/Miller at $18 for a two pack... this damn gums diffuser tip costs 1/3rd the damn gun . I sent them an message since their website makes it seem like you can buy the diffuser tip they show and replace just that and that's how I broke the last one as I thought I just got the thread direction wrong and now I got parts in the mail that clearly aren't going to work... I'm so pissed this gun is made like this without knowing before buying that I'm tempted to toss it on the trash and buy another Miller hobart gun.

View attachment 6950

View attachment 6952

As you can see the tip end is all one solid piece then just crimped as one entire piece. In the top pick you can see the rubber insulator sleeve I removed so I could see just what was holding this piece on ...lol... not only is it an expensive way to put it together when it comes time to replace the diffuser , but compared to simply spinning off a diffuser tip on my hobart gun which takes about 30 seconds to swap a tip this POS is like taking a normal gun apart to swap a liner .

I've never seen those "flex tips" before now. Do they hold a contour and angle after you shape them, or do they just flop around if you don't hold them in position?

I've never seen those "flex tips" before now. Do they hold a contour and angle after you shape them, or do they just flop around if you don't hold them in position?

I've had an HTP flex neck for at least a few years now on my Hobart 180.

Would never go back to a rigid neck ever again.

They hold the angle. Makes it really nice for tight spots, and even using the gun more in a "pencil fashion" in areas.

Today's cold start of the commander brings a glorious ticking sound from the 5.7 litres engine bay which I believe I have Chrysler's use of cast iron + aluminum to thank for this tick as it certainly sounds like the exhaust manifold... lol... it's not real high on my priority list to get fixed , but if I keep it I'll have to fix it since it bugs me like a mil light.

Looking around a little I found passenger side rear stud broke with the heat shield loose...be ordering at least one new header since it's probably warped and not worth the work to pull it off and put trash back on . Will need to check driver side when I got time to be more involved since it's not as easy as pass side to see. Looks like everything on both sides plus inner splash shield will need removed to make room for the job...ahhh the pride and joy of ownership .

After driving the ol' bucket onto the newly rebuilt trailer I realize I absolutely don't like the 10 inch steering wheel it's just on the way to small side it requires to much turning and feels cumbersome in its application , so going to find a quick release hub and something in the 12-13 inch wheel diameter . This Grant wheel I simply installed by cutting the threaded steel section out of the stock wheel and then welded that threaded section to the wheel what I'd like to find is a wheel and hub that are quick release but don't stick way the he'll out

Just popped in my head ... you do realize my tow rig is a 6.7 / 68rfe already not a 5.9/ 48rh . Folks get thrown off because it's the last year for the 3rd gen dodge body style so when the hood is popped 408 cubic inches resides under the hood not 360 . I don't know what they've changed on the newer set up for the turbo but my he351ve vgt turbo has 197,000 miles on it with all a
emissions still in place . I don't run above stock settings very often since I'm not deleted and have a stock 68rfe. The 5.9s didn't even come with an exhaust brake system stock ( fail) .

Decided to add a bigger cooler to tow rigs transmission for those slow switch backs that the trans stays unlocked in . Bought a big deep sump finned pan with a drain plug and a mishimoto direct fit replacement for the stock cooler that I plan not to run the thermostat. I'm considering deeper than the 3.73 gears I have now but am between 410 and 456 ...

Free...shyt . I have 4 brand new 1750lb leaf packs for 3500lb axles. And a bag of new u bolts and plates to mount them to 2'3/8 tube ( 3500 axke tubes ) . These are brand new never mounted still in bags and box they a Libra trailer parts brand. I have no use for these I ultimately went with 6k lb axles and larger springs.

I have Two 3500lb axles that were mildly tweaked with recently rebuilt hubs with new bearings and races... these also have bearing buddies on them . Hubs are 5x5.5 Texas bolt pattern

I also have 6 5x5.5 Texas bolt pattern wheels the tires are 8 years old and not road worthy due to weather checking they are are already off the wheels .

I'M making two trips to the dump tomorrow to get rid of excess steel and junk ... these will be going on the second trip so by noon they will be trashed if no one puts a claim on them... if you say you want them and back out you will find them on your lawn ;-)

I drive some of the twisty roads a bit fast and always worry about the securement of the jeep especially at night when I can't see it back there ... So these bed rails make it pretty impossible for it to go anywhere...And the glow of 30 amber Led rail lights and 6 reds kind eliminates the dark anyway.

I like to be able to easily load with no truck hooked and load without beating up the frame of the trailer , putting stress on the tow rig or coupler , So these spring loaded heavy duty ramps eliminate all that and store easier than non attached ramps since they just swing up and down and pin into place .

20200129_164043.jpg

20200129_163952.jpg

Need to pick up an adjustable drop hitch tomorrow...it sits a bit nose high and will only get worse after I lift the truck . I could just spring over the axles easily since these TK axles don't have a cambered tube , but I don't know how it will ride so the $150 hitch is easier.

Well decided to buy an aluma tow droo/raise hitch ...lol... hopefully buying an aluminum hitch doesn't turn out to be a mistake. They say it's rated at 12k lbs with the 2-5/16th ball .my trailer loaded weighs about 8,500 -9000 lbs so it has some headway .

Factory cooler still works I just don't like the performance on slow stuff especially steep slow stuff So going to see if this Mishimoto trans cooler+ the deep sump mag hytec pan offer any better than stock temp numbers .. The stock trans cooler is a out $100 shipped this was $468 the pan was about $300 and a stock 68rfe pan is $60 , So about $160 for a new stock cooler and pan VS $768 ... there better be a good 20° drop . I was going to go with a remote mount cooler with a standalone fan mounted in the bed which probably would work better , but this appealed to my laziness since it just bolts in stock location .

20200201_014735.jpg

Dann... ups... delivers on Sunday...lol... walked out the back door and almost fell on my face as my new alums tow hitch was not sitting there unexpectedly.

Got my exhaust gas pressure sensor from eBay. It shipped from Wenzhou China, so I gave it a nice liberal dose of Lysol while wearing some nitrile gloves... I guess if it's like other flu strains it shouldn't be able to live on hard surface for more than 24hrs , but my luck isn't built this way.

Turned a 30 minute job into one I can't finish until Monday. Pulled the egr crossover tube and dropped a basket which seems to have vanished into the abyss, so now I have to wait to pick up a new gasket Monday before putting the clamps back on ...lol... I may have a couple buried in a box somewhere since I bought new ones when I serviced the egr valve in 2014 but finding them taint worth the time . I couldn't manage to break through the carbon at the exhaust pressure tube into the sensor, so I put some gas in there and put the old sensor onto keep the gas from evaporating hopefully this will loosen up the carbon so a pick will be effective or I'll have to pull the tube off the coolant hose and clean it off the truck which I don't want to do since I already put my new T-stat on and topped it off . What really makes the crossover tube seem pointless is I'm going to order a left over EFIlive kit to delete the full egr set up , cat converter, and dpf since these parts are old enough to where they will start to be failure prone and removing them just feels better.

Driving home from Blackhawk on the 7th, my windshield wiper assembly broke, and the motor mounting bolt came out. Exciting times waiting until I absolutely had to use it, and hope it was not the last swipe of the blades.

After I took it apart, I remembered I have 2 more assemblies, under the snow, somewhere...

Time to bust out the welder!

Will be ordering a new rear bumper for the commander to paint and replace the busted one . My neighbor was trying to push by hand on the ice his utility trailer that was loaded with a few full size cut up pine trees , so I asked if he wanted some help and so I said hey let's just move it with the jeep ...lol... well I backed up to the coupler and he dropped it on the ball and I proceeded to set up and start to back it into his lot and just as soon as I attempted to turn a little bit I hear a poping and cracking ( like breaking plastic) . The trailer is a bit narrower than my Jeep so I could not see from my seat that my bumper was into this trailers storage box...lol... he ... modified... The trailer with a tongue mounted storage box that leaves 12-18 inches from the ball mount to the storage box...lol... can't steer more than 6 inches before your maxed out and into the box. So after being aware of this limited during space I pit it into the slot and got on carparts. Com to order the new bumper . I could fiber glass and filler this one ,but it broke all the mounts so they need fixed and by the time I buy the materials I'm close to the $135 for a fresh bumper that just nerds paint. I think I may clear coat the fender flares at the same time since they're fading on the clear ... I could just leave it , but I know I can't look at it for another year or so while I still own it.

Back