NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Other Technical Forums > Advanced Fabrication and Engineering
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Advanced Fabrication and Engineering For when your build is going off the charts. Wildly modified vehicles and straight up buggies welcome.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old September 6th, 2010, 19:18
NAXJA Forum User

Re: The Life, Death, & Rebirth of a Black Jeep

Hey... those look familiar.....
I was lazy and just cut out a section for the xmember instead of remounting the xmember.

Old September 6th, 2010, 19:23
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcantar18c View Post
Hey... those look familiar.....
I was lazy and just cut out a section for the xmember instead of remounting the xmember.]
3x3 angle works great for stiffeners. My crossmember doesnt hang below so I didnt have to cut anything out or drill any holes. My tranny crossmember will bolt to the inside on the framerails
Old September 13th, 2010, 18:22
NAXJA Forum User

I love getting work done!!

Posterboard templates

Transfered it to some 1/8" plate and cut them out, followed by a date with the drill press and the same 3/8" bit thats been kicking a bunch of ass for me. I decided to split the side piece into 2 seperate pieces since my sheet of 1/8" plate was only 1'x10' and I didn't wanna end up with a bunch of odd, big drops. I got a little idea for a cool gusset piece over the seams.

Flap wheeled and ready for paint.

That should just about finish all the stiffening in the rear of the jeep. I gotta find some long Grade 8 bolts around here somewhere some I can start building the leaf spring hangers. The plan is push the front hanger mount back 3" from stock. I'm gunna use some 3x6x5/16" rect tubing as UBE mounts on the 14b. I'll be drilling the center pin holes with some adjustability to probably push the rear axle another inch or so backwards too.

Old September 20th, 2010, 18:33
NAXJA Forum User

Brown Santa showed up with some goodies today!!!

Pro Comp/Rock Crawler black steelies, soft-8 style, 17x9's with 3.5" of backspacing. I'll take a little trip over to the garage I used to work at and mount up the Treps tomorrow afternoon. I'm gunna pull the axles out and setup the up out in the yard and give the housings a good wire wheeling/cleaning, followed by some paint. Then I'll assemble the outers and get the wheels/tires mounted up and roll the stuff under the jeep.

Old September 20th, 2010, 18:47
NAXJA Member

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos

hahahaha, they put fragile stickers on the rims for shipping.

IF THEY ONLY KNEW
CTeunuch: Sometimes I really wonder if this sport makes you insane, or it just attracts the mentally unstable.
Old September 20th, 2010, 18:53
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastein View Post
hahahaha, they put fragile stickers on the rims for shipping.

IF THEY ONLY KNEW

The UPS dude was like "They should wrap these with some padding around the edges or something." I replied that I doubt anything he can dish out will have a chance at hurting these.

The plan is to run some InnerAirLocks and possibly weld on some outer rings to keep the other lip happy incase it wants to give some rocks High-5's.
Old September 20th, 2010, 19:42
NAXJA Forum User

Soft 8s are ghey
Old September 20th, 2010, 19:52
NAXJA Forum User

pro comp wheels are gay
Old September 20th, 2010, 20:10
NAXJA Forum User

Double ghey
Old September 20th, 2010, 20:14
NAXJA Member

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos

all wheels are ghey, the rubber goes on the front and the studs come through the back

sorry, terrible pun, had to
CTeunuch: Sometimes I really wonder if this sport makes you insane, or it just attracts the mentally unstable.
Old September 21st, 2010, 15:20
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparManiac View Post
Soft 8s are ghey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm racer 419 View Post
pro comp wheels are gay
Now they are SUPER GHEY!!! To make sure I didn't get any of their gheyness everywhere, I put rubbers on for protection

Old September 21st, 2010, 15:28
NAXJA Forum User

beautiful
Old September 21st, 2010, 15:46
NAXJA Forum User

Old September 21st, 2010, 18:02
NAXJA Forum User

Built some U-bolt eliminators. I cut up a piece of the 2x6x.250 rect tubing and laid it on its side. I picked up a hole saw and notched out the sides to sit nicely on the 14b's tubes, I finally use my Bridgeport and it was awesome!!! 80 RPMs with a 3.5" hole saw was sweet. Drilled the 4 corners out for some 4" long 5/8" Gr8 hardware, it should be good. I drilled out the centering pin holes to 9/16" to match the RE leafs. I put the holes at straight up, and forward or backward 1.25". Once I make a metal order real soon, I'll make some matching pattern top spring plates outta some 1/2" flat plate.

I played with the tires a little bit and laying out some cut work outback. I wanna punch out most of the stock inner wheelwell and open up the entire wheelwell. ****I don't like the exact angle and arches and I'll probably make the overall opening longer.**** The inner white line will be where the body sheet metal meets the inner wheelwell sheet metal. I'll bend up some 1/4" round stock and weld it in to tie them together. The outer white line represents where the outside of the rear lower tube will be from the rocker to the rear bumper. The area on the door will be cut out the clear the tube. From the bottom of the body line to the new wheelwell opening will be ~3". Currently to the trimmed wheelwell opening its like 5", and untrimmed it would probably be like 6/6.5".

Old October 5th, 2010, 16:21
NAXJA Forum User

Brown Santa dropped off more goodies today!!

Full set of Ballistic Fab 2.63 joints for the front 3 link with upgraded 5/8" thru-bolts and billet (solid) Nylatron GS races, 7/8" x 3/4" QA1 rod ends for the trackbar ends, and associated hardware for the UCA and trackbar.