• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thought i'd share the new rig..

OverlandZJ

NAXJA Member # 101
Been tinkering with this since last summer, little here and there. It needed a ton of cleaning and maintenance but it'll get registered and inspected very soon now. Need to aquire a few parts yet, then it'll see a lift later this summer.

I'll start a thread on it a bit later.

98zjwashed.jpg

i've wanted a stock zj, bare bone zj for a while. alot of possibilities man.

...and give me your tie rod!

What are the overall plans?

I'm guessing overland/expedition rig like your last?

Yessir..

The RE longarm setup will go under, need to get a Claytons crossmember for the 96+ ZJ.. everything else is a direct swap. I picked up ZJ V8 Upcountry coils for the rear and a spacer to level it off. Also have RE short arm setup for rear. Will need a rear trackbar and bracket yet. It'll sit around 4.5 to 5".

Axles will go under after getting a bracket kit for the rear, tires will find their way over as well. Not sure if i'll adapt my 87 242 in or just rebuild and SYE it's current one.

Front Iceland winch plate with oem bumper cover, i'd like to get something similar to a tailbone fabbed for the rear. I like the idea of saving some weight on the rig where i can, my usage doesnt require much armor.

Sell or trade off what i dont use from the XJ.

nice, our family had one of those for years, good jeep...

i really really advise a larger trans cooler..

Good luck on the build, IMO the 4.0 is just too small for a zj, so keeping the weight down is a great idea!

nice, our family had one of those for years, good jeep...

Wife still have the Niner?

i really really advise a larger trans cooler..

Good luck on the build, IMO the 4.0 is just too small for a zj, so keeping the weight down is a great idea!

Figured as much, doesnt look like i'll be able to use the XJ's aux cooler and get any airflow to it. I'll find something at summit i guess eventually.

I hope i'll be ok with the 4.0, lotsa guys seem to be.

I don't hang with ZJs...

:D

Nice John, I'm sure it'll be a bit more luxurious inside than your older XJ. Should make a good expedition rig. What's the timeline? We see your at NACFest, I hope?

I don't hang with ZJs...

:D

Nice John, I'm sure it'll be a bit more luxurious inside than your older XJ. Should make a good expedition rig. What's the timeline? We see your at NACFest, I hope?

Sure you do, you know where the beer will be.

I have every intention as of now to stop in, Jeep wont be lifted yet however.

Wife still have the Niner?

All 160k of it, just cost us an alternator & it beeps wierd stuff out of the vic every now and then, but we own it haha.

Been tinkering with this since last summer, little here and there. It needed a ton of cleaning and maintenance but it'll get registered and inspected very soon now. Need to aquire a few parts yet, then it'll see a lift later this summer.

I'll start a thread on it a bit later.

98zjwashed.jpg
Meh ... I dunno - I think you should pay a premium surcharge to be in N.A.XJ.A with a ZJ.

Just kidding John ... I'll take your unibody over a wrongler any day :kissyou:. :D

Looks good John!!

:thumbup:

ax15 swap *cough*

LOL, looked into it. Impossible to get legally inspected in PA with a CEL. The 42re in this has been rebuilt shortly before i got it.

All 160k of it, just cost us an alternator & it beeps wierd stuff out of the vic every now and then, but we own it haha.

On the VIC.. does anything actually indicate along the sides of it? Or just in the diagram of the vehicle? I thought i could mount my altimeter along side if it didnt onscure anything important.

Meh ... I dunno - I think you should pay a premium surcharge to be in N.A.XJ.A with a ZJ.

Just kidding John ... I'll take your unibody over a wrongler any day :kissyou:. :D

I DO pay a premium.. i serve for the betterment of all associated with NAXJA. :D Sometimes y'all dont make it easy either!

Tech question, anyone familiar with the D44a's? Thinking about grabbing a D44a so i can just bolt it in, then gear it when the lift and tires go on. I'm thinking it would be fine with the mild wheelin i do and a 33x10.5?

Whats the issue with the aluminuminum diff... bending/breaking? Is there a truss setup that strengthens this? Expensive gearsets? Locker availability?

I think i may have an issue with my XJ's 44 housing. I have a noise at right rear which i think is the machined bearing rest for the shaft being worn/oversized.

Tech question, anyone familiar with the D44a's? Thinking about grabbing a D44a so i can just bolt it in, then gear it when the lift and tires go on. I'm thinking it would be fine with the mild wheelin i do and a 33x10.5?
Stay far away, they are only good for their disc brakes and that is about it.
Whats the issue with the aluminuminum diff... bending/breaking? Is there a truss setup that strengthens this? Expensive gearsets? Locker availability?
Issues? All of the above. To many unique things, no aftermarket and weak.
I think i may have an issue with my XJ's 44 housing. I have a noise at right rear which i think is the machined bearing rest for the shaft being worn/oversized.
IMO, really it would be worth it to find another Dana axle and through some better mounts at it (or even reuse the ones of the current axle) then to mess with a D44a. Unless of course you have to stick with ABS, then it could get tricky with other axles. Edit: Or you could even get an oversized race to fit in that spun journal on your current D44 if that really is the case. They are special order usually, but any good bearing shop should be able to get there hands on something. Then even if that isn't any option you could use a punch and stake a bunch of dimples in the journal, add some Loctite 660 or even 609 (green stuff) and that should hold it well. Not ideal, but it does work.

Last edited:
ya i would avoid the 44a, market for em sucks, they bend easy. even with a truss its worse than a 8.25.

Bill, always the voice of reason. I already deactivated ABS. I wasnt aware i could buy an oversized parts... I did just swap in new bearings hoping that fixed it.. but i was sent the one piece bearing (set10?)

in4aride, whats the issue with an 8.25? I was thinking it would be much cheaper to find a donor vs a another 44.

Unless the rare chance i stumble on an XJ44 housing only.

Bill, always the voice of reason.
I try. :)
Be sure to see my edited section at the end of my last point.
in4aride, whats the issue with an 8.25? I was thinking it would be much cheaper to find a donor vs a another 44.
That's another good option if you are only planning on "smaller" tires. They are super cheap and we are practically tripping on 29-spliners up here in the northern NAC, for sale all the time.
Unless the rare chance i stumble on an XJ44 housing only.
I'll keep an eye out for something.

Back