• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Putting an 97+ OHC in my 90

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Well, yesterday I almost hyperventilated when I saw a '98 at the junkyard with an overhead console. It's not uncommon now to see later model XJs there but most of them don't have OHCs. Anyway picked the thing up for $40, I couldn't believe it. At first I was debating to sell it or not since I figured I'll obviously never get the fuel economy, distance travelled or any of that b/s to work, but it is a lot better than the 94's I've got in there is anyway. But, I've got several questions for you guys that have added these to your late model XJs.
1. Does the temp sender feed off the PCM somehow? The problem here is that I've added a older style overhead console to mine, but the temp sender is independent of the computer. The sender is in the same spot behind the front bumper but I'm still not sure if it works with the PCM?
2. I still need to go back to get the wiring harness. Are there plugs right down the pass side pillar like there are on the older XJs?
3. Finally, do all 4 lights come on when you open the doors?
Thanks for any help guys,
Collin

I probably should have posted this in mod tech huh?

BigBlackHeep said:
Well, yesterday I almost hyperventilated when I saw a '98 at the junkyard with an overhead console. It's not uncommon now to see later model XJs there but most of them don't have OHCs. Anyway picked the thing up for $40, I couldn't believe it. At first I was debating to sell it or not since I figured I'll obviously never get the fuel economy, distance travelled or any of that b/s to work, but it is a lot better than the 94's I've got in there is anyway. But, I've got several questions for you guys that have added these to your late model XJs.
1. Does the temp sender feed off the PCM somehow? The problem here is that I've added a older style overhead console to mine, but the temp sender is independent of the computer. The sender is in the same spot behind the front bumper but I'm still not sure if it works with the PCM?
2. I still need to go back to get the wiring harness. Are there plugs right down the pass side pillar like there are on the older XJs?
3. Finally, do all 4 lights come on when you open the doors?
Thanks for any help guys,
Collin

1) No. It's still separate in the 97 +.
2) Yes. But takes a little to get in/out. Space smaller than plug width. Loosen right side of dash.
3) Yes

Hope this helps.

Chasjr1 said:
1) No. It's still separate in the 97 +.
2) Yes. But takes a little to get in/out. Space smaller than plug width. Loosen right side of dash.
3) Yes

Hope this helps.
Thanks man.

Back