• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which year XJ is the best?

superscythe

NAXJA Forum User
I recently read the JP (Jeep) magazine's favorite picks. They listed the '91-'93 Cherokees as some of their favorites, but no other years of Cherokees. What is different about these that are so much better? I am on my 8th Cherokee. My current one is an '89 Laredo, the only renix I've owned...never again! My favorite has been the '94. I've had two of those. Anyway, what year is the best?

84-01

Hasta

They probably picked the 91-93 because they are HO 4.0L engines, but not OBDII so they can be easier to play with. They also still have High-Pinion D30s, etc.

They probably picked the 91-93 because they don't really know diddly doo about Cherokees. In fact, the editors of Jp Magazine are such dorks that I have had to decide not to renew my subscription. It has gotten so bad that you can't even rely on Willie Worthy's advice any more.

Ignoring the 84 thriough 86 2.8L XJs, the best year for the XJ is the year you have. (Whatever year that is -- they're all good vehicles.)

Eagle said:
In fact, the editors of Jp Magazine are such dorks that I have had to decide not to renew my subscription. It has gotten so bad that you can't even rely on Willie Worthy's advice any more.

So is the beef with WW or the editors?

ECKSJAY said:
So is the beef with WW or the editors?
Historically, my "beef" has been primarily with editor Cappa and his right hand henchperson. Lately they added the bimbo who thinks it's humourous to give idiotic advice in her column, but at least Willie Worthy was reliable.

Unfortunately, the last two issues have shown even that to be past tense. In the last two issues ole Willy has given some information that is totally off the mark. If I can't even rely on him, there is no reason left to subscribe to the rag.

Ah, he's a friend of a friend...that's why I was asking. ;) I've seen them go downhill also, just haven't read anything lately. I was just wondering. :)

Yes it is true JP has gone down hill. Not worth the time or money. Of the two XJ I have owned; 1994 and 1996, I would put my money on the 1994. Both are very good vehicles but the 1996 has several little quirks that get under your skin after awhile yet has been 100% reliable.
my $0.02.

superscythe said:
I recently read the JP (Jeep) magazine's favorite picks. They listed the '91-'93 Cherokees as some of their favorites, but no other years of Cherokees. What is different about these that are so much better? I am on my 8th Cherokee. My current one is an '89 Laredo, the only renix I've owned...never again! My favorite has been the '94. I've had two of those. Anyway, what year is the best?

UMMM, didnt you "read" the article. they give there reasoning for it. HO motor, no OBDII, easy to find, 8 1/4 was available. But they also say 97+ are good also. One guy likes the styling and 99 got the best 4.0 (their words).

I have nothing bad to say about JP, it may not be the best, but atleast I dont have to read about a chevy IFS with a high dollar paint job and a supercharger. JP will show junk, like I have, and be proud of it.

I like my 2000 since it's newer than an older one. And the 8.25 rear is a nice touch. Also has a plastic gastank and the body and interior is nice. :clap:

I'm a librarian, so I have access to databases that many people don't, and I purposely picked a '99 because of fewer recalls and so on (purchased in '02). '99's had more electrical problems than other recent models, but I can rewire just about anything, so I overlooked that. I was mostly concerned with the mechanical stuff, which '99's seemed to be good with. I've already had to rewire the driver's side door because of faulty switches, etc., but other than that, things are good.

The reasons given for 91-93 don't make a lot of sense, since they also apply to 94 and 95, but it's not totally ridiculous. Assuming condition is not a factor, I'd tend toward a 93-4 because it has the HO engine with the handy diagnostic codes but still has the old style seats (don't care as much for the later Chrysler seats), and the Saginaw steering column (the 95 has a Chrysler column with a poorly designed wiper switch and infuriating horn buttons). Since I don't wheel it hard, I am less of a fan of the Chrysler rear end, which on mine at least is noisy. I also tend to prefer the earlier body style, especially if it is fitted with opening vent windows.

That said, I'd look at any year 4.0 that is in good condition and has the features I need. I don't think the year is as important as the individual vehicle.

In my opinion, the best year XJ is the one you drive, personalize plates for, admire, carry pictures in your wallet of, wrench on, give a name to, beat up, use as your computer desktop, cover in mud, haul the dogs to the river in, scrape on rocks, bounce off trees, pull stumps with, drive to church on Sunday, and GET GROCERIES in.

Now, say what you will about the 2.8 L V6, but my 1985 XJ hooked me on jeepin and does all of the above. I'm gonna love that truck until it dies...and speak fondly of it in it's afterlife!

Well my preference is 97+ until they get to the one with the LPd30 (2001? I never can remember that one). ANyways rear steel hatch is supposed to be lighter then fiberglass and more durable. The 8.25 is pretty nice and mine wasn't noisy at all (even with the gears and lockers). Btw the 97+ if equipped with the 8.25 (non abs setups) will have the 29 spline shafts. Also the year that went to the distributorless setup is supposed to be slightly more "powerfull (2000?) so that might be something worth looking into. Also the 2000+ manual tranny ones get the nv3500 which is supposed to be beefier then the ax15.
In any case I had an 86 a long itme ago with the 2.8 (never again) and more recently I had a 98 (which I rolled) and then I bought a 97.
But it all comes down to the question as to what you're looking for in the jeep? Are you looking for a trail only rig to beat up? for a rig that needs least mods to get it wheeling or to build something nice from ground up? The newer ones suffer from driveline vibe issues due to the redesigned tcase output. The upside though of that output is that should you snap the shaft you won't have to deal with oil leaking out of the case and plugging it with something.... so I guess it might come down to weighing the pros and cons and the needs and wants and getting one that suits your needs best instead of looking at the one that is "the best" in the opinion of most.

That is my problem....i'm trying to figure which is best for what i'm doing...i'm probably not as extreme as most of you guys but i will do at least a 3" lift and put 31's on it.....and then off road it maybe 3 or 4 times a month...mostly minor trails.....otherwise its my daily driver....my g/f's 98 is mint other than this electircal glitch it seems to have. I'm leaning towards a newer year for more reliable on the road 24-7 and maybe a day or two off road every now and then??

as new as you can while avoiding the 00-01

My 91 is a pain in the a**, but I still love it.

Good stuff like it dosen't have any vibs at 4.5" with no TC drop.

Bad stuff like Rust, cooling (allthough i think that everyone has that problem.), rear axle (should have a 8.25 but no it has a d35c), and the list goes on....

oh yea, it's my first jeep, and it won't be my last...

superscythe said:

the one with the playboy playmate of the year inside !!

Back