• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Handheld radio question.

UV-5R were the ones we were using:

http://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV5R-...&qid=1436446183&sr=8-1&keywords=baofeng+UV-5R

The cable you'll need to connect to your PC:

http://www.amazon.com/Programming-C...&qid=1436446183&sr=8-6&keywords=baofeng+UV-5R

I'd recommend a longer antenna too. I have one of these on mine and was able to pick up our groups ahead and behind us while others could not. Came in handy when Dirk was radioing back to us on Saturday to say they were blocking the trail for a repair:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KC4PWQQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

I've got about $50 into it and it worked way better than CB's ever have up there, and it's all with Prime shipping!

Those look a little different than the ones we used. It doesn't have the chrome speaker cover, otherwise they look almost identical. My wife ordered one the other day. I sure hope she ordered the right one and got the cable and antenna.

That is the one we used Dirk.

Andy and Tim said the radios have to be programmed so you need the cable to be able to do that.

Looking at the boxes I have, it does say UV-5RA.

Here is the link to the 5RA. Not sure there is any difference than the 5R that Tim linked. They are compatible.

http://www.amazon.com/Baofeng-UV-5R...qid=1436449546&sr=8-2&keywords=baofeng+UV-5Ra

Why would you need to link it to your PC? What is that about?

That is the one we used Dirk.

Andy and Tim said the radios have to be programmed so you need the cable to be able to do that.

Correct. You'll need to cable to program them. You can do it manually without the PC but it's a pain. Much easier to use the cable and software.

If I order the cable and disc, can it be used for anyone else in my area who gets one of these radios? I'm guessing yes but want to be sure.

Yes.

I'm going to go ahead and throw out the disclaimer to use these radios on FRS channels only unless you have a HAM license.

So FRS channels are okay? What are the other channels called that require a HAM license?

FRS is ok since they are point-to-point, or simplex, and they were set up to be "open" channels like CB. Any VHF/UHF channel that uses a repeater you need a license for IIRC. Someone will correct me I'm sure, but that's what I understand.

Thanks!

I know that the FRS Channels are open, but they are limited in wattage. I believe the Baofeng HTs are within limits, however, they are not "Type Approved" by the FCC for FRS channels.
There isn't a lot of danger of being caught since the FCC is reducing it's enforcement personnel. But that doesn't mean they are totally risk free. The FCC likes to use LARGE fines. Generally in the 10s of thousands of dollars.
I would suggest getting a ham license. About $15 and a test, mostly about legalities. That would also give you access to things like repeaters which greatly extend range and accessibility.

Yes.

I'm going to go ahead and throw out the disclaimer to use these radios on FRS channels only unless you have a HAM license.

The disc will be in the box with the radio, but throw it immediately in the trash. I sent Sunshine a link to a youtube video for getting the drivers installed.

FWIW I prefer my CB. Mainly because I have absolutely no where to put this thing.

FWIW I prefer my CB. Mainly because I have absolutely no where to put this thing.

If you look up and to the left on your roof you'll see an oval shaped hole where the sun visor was once attached. The belt clip fits in that hole perfectly and will stay there all do with zero issues. I clipped mine there and it never once fell out.

Granted, that requires no visors and no headliner.

Sounds like if you stick with your CB you aren't going to have anyone to talk to... lol

Back