• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What type differential fluid should be used on 111,000 mile vehicle??

newjeepowner

NAXJA Forum User
I am a new owner of a 99 XJ. the vehicle has 111,000 miles right now and i am going through the process of changing all the fluids. i would like to change the differentail fluids and transfer case fluid. What fluids should be used for a high mileage vehicle. Should any additives be used? thanks

Well, with 255Kmiles on my 88, I still use regular fluids. I don't recall capacities, but the transfer case will accept Dexron II/III just fine, and I use 80W-90 in the axles. I'm fairly sure I've got capacity listings posted in the Tech Archive section of my site, along with FSM recommended fluids - worth a look, I tend to think...

(There's a link in my sig...)

5-90

5-90 said:
Well, with 255Kmiles on my 88, I still use regular fluids. I don't recall capacities, but the transfer case will accept Dexron II/III just fine, and I use 80W-90 in the axles. I'm fairly sure I've got capacity listings posted in the Tech Archive section of my site, along with FSM recommended fluids - worth a look, I tend to think...

(There's a link in my sig...)

5-90

On your website you only go to 1997 on your fluids and capacities. Will a 99 be the same as the 97? How do I figure out which rear end i have?

newjeepowner said:
On your website you only go to 1997 on your fluids and capacities. Will a 99 be the same as the 97? How do I figure out which rear end i have?

They should be similar, depending on what diffs you have and the Tcase. Just fill till fluid comes out the fill hole. To determine your rearend, you either have a D35 or 8.25. The 8.25 has a flat bottom, with 3" axle tubes.

Doesn't matter which axle you have, the requirements are the same: 75W-90 API GL5 for the axles, Trac Lok additive if you have a limited slip, and 75W-140 synthetic if you're doing heavy towing. I think the tow package versions come with the synthetic in. I put synthetic in the rear end of my 95 which was kind of noisy. It helped very little, but certainly did no harm.

Transfer case takes Mopar ATF, Dexron III or Mercon.

As far as I know, if you have ABS, you get the Dana 35, or what is described in the 99FSM as the 194RBI. If you have conventional brakes, you get a Chrysler 8 1/4. Either can come with Trac-Lok optional. On the cast reinforcing webs of the case of a D35 you should see "D35C" and the Dana logo. There are no such webs on the 8 1/4. If you take off a hubcap or a wheel, Dana Axle ends have a depression that looks sort of like a figure 8 or an hourglass. Chrysler ends are like a simple rectangle with rounded ends.

Capacites from the 99 owner's manual:

Transfer case Selec-Trac = 2.85 pints, 1.3 liters
""Command Trac = 2.2 pints, 1 liter.

Front axle = 3.0 pints, 1.5 liters
Rear Dana = 3.4 pints, 1.6 liters
Rear Chrysler = 4.4 pints, 2.0 liters

newjeepowner said:

Yeah - I knew I got stuck somewhere. I try to pull specs from factory manuals, or something verifiable as "factory-sourced," and I top out at 1997. Later models should be similar.

As far as axle ID, the ChryCo has a flat bottom and a roughly hexagonal shape to the housing. The Dana 35 is more oval. As I recall, the Dana 35 was used with ABS (if you've got ABS, you'll have the D35) and the ChryCo and Dana were both used without ABS (if you do NOT have ABS, it could go either way.)

Yucca-Man has a good axle ID page - and the URL was posted here within the last week. Seek, and ye shall find...

5-90

Back