• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

knocking sound when accelerating

xjlongo

NAXJA Forum User
I recently lifted my jeep from 3" to 5" and at first it was driving ok but the last day or two every time i step on the gas there is a knocking sound could this be my driveshft having to much angle ? I have a 1" drop t case and 6* shims no sye im hoping i dont need one

Check your motor mounts. With the t case drop you put more stress(angle) on the mounts.

your specificity in this matter will make all the difference...

is the knock more of a tap or more of a clunk?...does it sound solid or hollow?...where do you think it's coming from?

is it constant, intermittent, or every other week?

any vibes?...if so, at what speed range?

are you accelerating from a dead stop, accelerating while turning, turning then accelerating...etc?

are you catching the drift?

its more of a click like sticking baseball cards in the spokes of a bicycle its hard to tell where its coming from. Its a constant sound that starts whenever i hit the gas and the faster i accelerate the faster it clicks. i have some vibes around 25 but they arnt terrible. it usually makes the sound whenever i hit the gas there are no sounds when i let off or when i hit the brakes and i havnt noticed it when driving in reverse.

is everything normal at idle?...have you listened under the hood or around your exhaust system?

does the sound occur if you simply rev it without being in gear?

using theses methods and questions, you can start eliminating variables...it could even turn out that the change in lift could just be a coincidence

yep everything is normal at idle and ive listened to the exhaust and under the hood and i didnt notice anything . It dosnt occur untill i step on the gas and the jeep moves and it dosnt do it if im just reving it or in gear and giving some gas.

well, my best guess is that it sounds like something in your u-joints...other than that i'm stumped on the clicking

...but back to your original post, vibrations are the #1 indicator for the need of a sye

usually, no vibes mean your angles are kosher

ok ill check the u joints out thanks " theNAST1EST " i appreciate your help. As for the vibes i hope they stay arond 25 and dont get worse

Check your exhaust where it runs next to your oil pan on the left side.

What about if its a solid sounds clunk when accelerating from a stop or when the front axle drops suddenly (ie offroad coming over a bump). Sorry for the hijack;)

When I helped my buddy install a 6" lift on his YJ, his front driveshaft would barely hit the exhaust. We had to take a grinder and buzz 1/8" off a tab/nipple/mini weight(not grease fitting).

Have you checked your muffler bearings recently?

Back