• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

loosing power/running rich ,when wheelin ?

NOS/86

NAXJA Forum User
this is a very random problem that i've been trying to track down for a couple of months . and it only does it when wheelin . ?????

1st off , you can just be ridin down a trail and it'll start running rough . starts popping thur the exhuast . and wont hardly idle . (smells like it's running rich ) you can put it in netrual rev it up and clear it out . then it's fine . or sometimes you can cut it off and it want start . (acts like it's flooded out ) just a touch of starting fluild and it'll start right up / or let it sit for awhile and it'll start fine .

heres whats new ..... cat (nov 05 ) , 02 senser (nov 05) , plugs , wires, cap , (jan 06 ) thought fuel pump was bad . (jan 06) was bad filter , check fuel pressure . was ok .

any ideas ? i'm about to check the map senser , clean the k&n filter and try some insulation on the fuel lines .

btw its a 1990 xj ,4.0 auto,242t-case .

MIne does this too. I have a feeling it might be due to the fact that when you are using your Jeep to wheel, you are not stressing the engine very often which can build up carbon on the manifold. A good revving can help clear this out. If anyone has more info, do share.

Back