• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Repairing holes in roof

Stevelknievel

NAXJA Forum User
Ive been asking around for advice on this and seeing if anyone has any better ideas so here goes, I just picked up an XJ in a trade and one of the POs put a light bar on the roof above the windshield but used self tappers instead of a nut and bolt because the back side of the hole can not be reached. It also had a visor at one point and it was installed the same way. I was going to weld them shut but I’m worried that because I can’t access the back side, rust may develop and spread. My other thought was to try and brush or spray in some rust encapsulator the best I could then use some very small button head self tappers to close the hole then bedline over top of those. Anyone have any experience doing either or have a better idea? Not concerned with how the finished product looks just want the holes closed off and hopefully avoid rust in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would get some Eastwood Internal Frame Coat (it's a spraycan with a long hose and a remote nozzle, you can use it to spray inside frames and sheetmetal weldments) and do exactly that, weld up the hole, spray coat the backside with the internal frame coat, and repaint the outside as desired.

Back