• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hard starts and stalling

Hella-XJ

NAXJA Forum User
well i have a 1990 XJ with a Renex 4.0 with 147k on it. I got in it today after school (7pm) and my jeep started but ran really rough and stalled out, it sounded like the map sensor wassnt getting vacuum, after it stalled it wouldnt start, the the motor was turning over but wouldnt start. its getting fuel(i could smell the fuel after trying to start it several times) it would try and start now and then. dose anyone have any idea what this could be?
-Keep Jeepin

It doesn't sound like a CPS issue, It sounds more like a dist cap issue. Have you pulled it and checked inside? Could be a Coil issue, but that's rare.

i just replaced the dis. cap, rotar, wires and plugs like 4k ago. but because of how cold its been and the way jeep use to leak oil ill pull it off and look. thanks
-Keep Jeepin

Do an ohm test on your CPS. Mine did almost the same thing, I thought it was an unplugged vacuum line to the MAP also.
It turned out to be that my CPS was right at the edge of the allowable ohm tolerance. If I remember correctly it tested at a round 292 ohms or so (supposed to be 200 +/- 75 if my memory is correct, better to look it up again to make sure). The CPS got really temperture sensitive, it would start at one ambient temperature and not another.
It could be something else, but it sure sounds familiar. You may also want to test your CPS wiring and connectors, between the CPS plug at the motor and the ECU, if you can't seem to find the problem. I had some resistance in the connectors, it all adds up.
Might also be a sticky IAC, if the air fuel mix is screwed up, it will hardly idle, you have to find exactly the right spot with the throttle (usually between 1/8 and 1/4). Usually if you do manage ot get it atarted, it will die as soon as you release the throttle.
Really weak spark can also cause something similiar. Thy cylinders flood and it will try to ignite, but doesn't quit make it.
It will idle really bad and stall if the EGR is stuck open.

Back