• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

In Moab, not good front driveline noise.

4x4JeePmaNthINg

NAXJA Forum User
Came out of fins and had a tic noise, kinda like the drive shaft was knocking something, but it's solid hadn't been hit. Tried playing around in the parking lot low speed. 4wd or 2wd it was there, most noticed in reverse.

So we started driving to camp and it was far worse at about 35mph+ but not completely constant. This had me puckered up because I didn't know if something in the T case was bad, or if it was the diff. Hard deceleration and any acceleration it was very pronounced. We got to a site and I took the front shaft out, nothing unusual. We ended up moving 25yds to a better camp, I think it was still knocking.

This AM I pulled the shafts and put the stubs in. The driverside hub did have play in it. Omw to Moab again hopefully theres a hub on stock somewhere.

Now I write because I'm driving and No noise currently. I don't know if its the hub or if I smoked something in the front diff. I plan to pull the cover tonight, no means of fluid retention yet.
I drove down here I need to be able to drive home.
What else can I do to diagnose, other than pulling the cover?
Any thoughts as to this sound?

Greatly appreciative for any help.

Powdered axle u-joint bearings will cause a bind/clunk....Dixie 4x4 in Moab might provide some assistance if you can't sort it yourself.

Just made it there to speak with Milt. Awesome kind people.

His best guess based on what I've told him/ he listened to is a diff bearing might be shot.

Pending if it is a bearing, how does one tell what caused this issue. I wheel conservitly and didn't do anything that I can pin point what may have caused this.

I would pull a pattern before you do anything.

Headed home tomorrow, I'll get a pattern.

On another note theirs now an off/ on squeak chirp thing is usually in gear, quiets down in park/N. Uncertain if its heat related yet.

Any advice on how to add pictures these days? I used to use imgur but it's dead in mobiles now.

Found my diff issue and my squeak was a broken exhaust hanger at the crossmember. Even bought some Prussian blue but the problem was obvious once the cover came off.

Ring looks good other than the worn pattern is crap. The pinion does have a knick in it hopefully its visible. Never heard of a roll pin being spit out before but that would be the sound I heard. I'm still replacing the drivers unit hub that felt iffy.

Are the gears trashed or can the knick be ground off the pinion?
5f8710baaf56376c4dad3fbeeac4e0f8.jpg
91ef7cdfe86194dd1c1ba3572601022f.jpg
323147c905d659cbdb8fbd43061b11e7.jpg
83ea7f16babffe79f3fce76342b30ed4.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Is it marking the ring gear.

I'm a broke ass I'd definitely stick a grinder in there and flap disc it to make sure that doesnt damage anything more.
Might pull the ring gear to get to it.

Back