• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

More fuel to the fire.....Short arm mods that I like

mbryson

NAXJA Forum User
I still need some tuning {and some better pics} on axle placement, but so far I really like my latest mods.......critiques are very welcome. I do get some dive while braking, but it's really not that different. Ride quality is significantly improved.

MVC-005F.JPG

MVC-008F.JPG

MVC-003F.JPG

MVC-010F.JPG

Control arms are Rocklogic 4x4 prototypes....www.rocklogic4x4.com

[Edit: comments on the 1/4 panel are not required, nor necessary......:D }

i really like the way that looks and have been contemplating doing it myself.

good job man:cool:

any tricks or tips to doing the mod?

Brad

bradlyw said:
i really like the way that looks and have been contemplating doing it myself.

good job man:cool:

any tricks or tips to doing the mod?

Brad

Ummmm........not really. It seemed pretty straightforward. Cut off the lower brackets, trim the spring perch of it's offending shock mount and extended area, grind until you like how your weld-on tabs fit, tack, check angles-verify measurements-test fit-verify measurements-weld the sh!t out of the brackets, and fab up a new shock bracket. {that's my coolest mod--I like it--my pictures need some light to show that one}

Nice quarter panel.

CRASH

Lookin' good Mark, I've been kicken that idea around lately. Still unsure of what(if anything) I want to do with my current axle and suspension.

Jes

Did you remount the upper frame brackets, or leave them as is? Is the geomety OK? I would be a little concerned about binding, etc. But the clearance under the axle is awesome and with the better angles, looks like a winner. Let us know how it works.

XJZ said:
Did you remount the upper frame brackets, or leave them as is? Is the geomety OK? I would be a little concerned about binding, etc. But the clearance under the axle is awesome and with the better angles, looks like a winner. Let us know how it works.

The upper and lower arms are in a very similar angle to the axle. Maybe 10-15 degrees with only about 4-6 degrees of difference between the two. I didn't change the upper frame mounts, but had considered that. I just thought I'd see what I had as simply as possible.

i LOVE the quarter panel mod, any suggestions on doin' the same to my cherokee? :moon:

homey_15 said:
i LOVE the quarter panel mod, any suggestions on doin' the same to my cherokee? :moon:

Next time you're in Moab, between the Strike Ravine and Hell****do trails do this to check if your new MT/R's will rub......:D
'
Uh-Oh-640.jpg

looks like a good way to give the whole side a custom rock bodywork treatment :D

homey_15 said:
looks like a good way to give the whole side a custom rock bodywork treatment :D
Damage-640.jpg

I got away pretty good. Scraped the crap out of my doors, blew a bead, lost a window, tweaked some doors and the 'custom quarter panel'.

After a little car wash action, it looked much better. I still find dirt from that coming out of places I didn't know the Jeep had.

mee too!

Thats the same mod I am contemplating on doing! Spoke to Goatman about it, he has done the same in the past.

So, is there significant axle rotation under braking now due to the loss in mechanical leverage from the lower arms?

Looks good

XJguy

XJguy; As I'm sure you're aware, Goatman went a little further with his. All brackets/mounts were fabbed, not just cut and relocated, uppers were also repositioned from the stock location.

But I also like mbryson's less is more approach. Seems very doable even for someone with moderate fab skills.

Soooo.....what's up with the cages?:)

When do we get to see some pics?

I had also moved the mounts on my D30, before putting in the D44. I had never taken or posted any pics of what I had done to the D30, just the D44.

I had tried a number of different control arm locations at various times on the old D30. I can give a run down of the problems/benefits of each location when I have time and if anyone is interested.

Goatman said:
I had also moved the mounts on my D30, before putting in the D44. I had never taken or posted any pics of what I had done to the D30, just the D44.

I had tried a number of different control arm locations at various times on the old D30. I can give a run down of the problems/benefits of each location when I have time and if anyone is interested.

I'd be interested to see what you did and what you thought of each mod. I'd lay the brackets bolt hole-center a little lower than the plane of the axle if I were to do it over again.

I know.....pics are coming up....(got out the trouble light for a lighting assist....the pictures actually look pretty good---uploading for display right now....:D)

Here's the shock bracket.........you can tell how good of a welder I am....:D......I make Beezil's mom look like a god (but at least the heat is up :D )

shockbracket.jpg

Last edited:
UPDATE:

OK.....So I finally saw 4 low (new 4.88's from 4.11's---KKEEEWWWWLLLLLLLLL :D ) with the new axle config.

Some observations:

1) Smooth over uneven terrain at any speed
2) My rear springs SUCK even worse now that my front works
3) the 'limiting' 'bracket' on the stock axle.......that is what was saving my brake lines......Flexes A LOT more than it did before (sorry, no pics)....what are the 'cool kids' running for brake lines again?
4) I actually do weld like Beezil's mom....my shock bracket's welds will get the cool welder (heat is good).....

Overall, I like it quite a bit. Still needs some tuning, and some possible shock eye relocation, (the shock eye barely hits the bleeder screw on the caliper at full lock--should have noticed that in the garage--not much I can do there, except move the shock on the bracket, which creates spring interference.......hmmmmm) but worked great and was very smooth---dare I say, smooth as a 'long-arm' setup?

Update: In case someone tries to do the same thing. I'm still very satisfied and checked out the geometry while flexed last night. The pinion stays in a decent position throughout the travel that I was able to induce at the 'local testing center'. I was about 1 inch short of my bumpstop, so I wasn't entirely 'flexed', but close enough to feel pretty good about the arm relationship.

brakeline update........I found a set of '92 K30 brake lines (brake hose for the searchers...:D ) worked pretty good and are most likely long enough (about 3" longer than the YJ ones that I just replaced---between that and the relocated hard lines, I think I'm in business)...........now if I could get all the air out of the ABS 'system'........rrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhh.....I might even drive it to work one of these days.....

Still really happy with the ride, and I think I left my crack pipe at your house from the last time you were smoking it.....:D :D :D

Last edited:
Back