• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Never seen anything like this. . .2000 4.0 Auto

Troutboy

NAXJA Forum User
2000 4.0 Auto

Started jeep and after letting off the key it sounded like the starter was grinding--loud. I shifted into D and it stopped. Set off driving and realized that my power windows wouldn't roll down, turn signals wouldn't work and all warning lights on the dash were on. I pulled over and when putting it back into P heard the hig-pitched grinding again so, shut it off. The car restarted normally then and the two other times it's been driven.

Not sure if it's related but on the start-up just prior to the one with the starter noise, the jeep was idling rough, felt like when an O2 sensor goes bad, but I've replaced all of them.

If anyone has an idea what's starting to fail, please chime in.

Thanks, Paul

Hmm... I wonder if your ignition switch is going bad? I don't see why the grinding would go away if you put it in Drive if it was the starter sticking though...

I know my buddy's ignition switch is problematic on occasions and he has issues with his gauge warning lights and windows when it does it...

I am guessing jeeps are notorious for electrical issues?

Does sound like the ignition switch. It is still closing the starter solenoid circuit, and when you put it in gear, the NSS broke the circuit. The accessories not working means their circuit was not being closed. Did the key return to the RUN position when you let go of it? If it was in fact still in the START position, the accessories' circuit would be interrupted, and the starter would remain engaged. See if the switch, or the key cylinder feels as if it's binding.

Thanks very much. That could certainly explain it. I haven't noticed binding, but I'll see if I can recreate a failiure to return to RUN and if the symptoms are the same.

Back