• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

White Rim Trail - Moab soon?

old_man

NAXJA Forum User
I am going to check to see if it is open, but I am thinking of doing a 3 day trip around White Rim Trail in Moab before Christmas or shortly thereafter if it is open and I don't have to head down to a job in AZ.

I was a professional photographer for years and want to take time to explore and take a bunch of pix. Rough camping is required and it may be butt cold. Depending on the weather, the trail is normally just a step above a SUV trail but is not for the faint hearted with tons of 500+ foot drop offs and ledge roads. It is a 102 mile round trip with no services or support.

While I wouldn't necessarily recommend this for a first time wheeling trip, if you are confident and have a reasonably built and equiped rig, you should be OK.

dead_horse.jpg

http://www.utah.com/offroad/white_rim_trail.htm

Here ya go Tom, the road is closed north of Potato Bottom.

http://www.nps.gov/cany/news082410.htm

They also mention not issueing reservations (required for overnight), but thats not to say you cant obtain one by walking in the ranger station and asking for one. Phone call should answer that.

Potato Bottom is 66 miles in from the Ranger Station, so your looking at 132 miles round trip plus any offshoots.

Last edited:
I figured they would have it fixed by now. Bummer.

I figured they would have it fixed by now. Bummer.

If I was a betting man, I'd put a grand down saying it'll never get fixed. Better than even odds that the tree huggers will encourage those in power at the NPS to back burner this one until it becomes completely cost prohibitive to repair.

If I was a betting man, I'd put a grand down saying it'll never get fixed. Better than even odds that the tree huggers will encourage those in power at the NPS to back burner this one until it becomes completely cost prohibitive to repair.

Lets bet.

The tree huggers use that road a lot to get out of the river. It's a HUGE road that gets used by everyone. It will be fixed by spring.

I got an update this morining on this. The washout is really not in the park. It is on County/BLM land. There has been almost 2 million dollars allocated to fixing the road but work has not started. The park ranger was surprised they had not started yet and had no idea when things would kick off. There is also a washout at the Upheaval Dome crossing.

I may still do the 80 miles around to the washout and then backtrack.

ya know whats sad? that trail is longer than every trail within 5 hours of my house combined

I just got a notification from the town of Moab. This is what it said...

We just got word that the Mineral Bottom Road reconstruction contract was awarded on Dec 2 to KSUE of Moab and will begin on Dec 13th! Construction is expected to continue through Spring 2011. Great News for all the Canoers and 4-wheelers and bikers!

I just got a notification from the town of Moab. This is what it said...

We just got word that the Mineral Bottom Road reconstruction contract was awarded on Dec 2 to KSUE of Moab and will begin on Dec 13th! Construction is expected to continue through Spring 2011. Great News for all the Canoers and 4-wheelers and bikers!

I've never been happier to eat my words Ryan. :thumbup: That is good news!

I'm really Jones'ing for this trip.

I'm really Jones'ing for this trip.

I was as well, this has been on my bucket list for a long time now. I'd love to see a trip report when you do get it done..

XJLI, i didnt know you and the other guys did this trail. I was envious enough of y'alls trip before knowing that.

So do exploding gall bladders. :D

dont forget busted up backs,
i was so looking forward to that trip , , michele's back was starting to get better until WHAM BANG!! she got rear ended in november and now its messed up worse than before, looks like she is gonna need surgery on her neck, good thing she has a good lawyer workin for her, maybe we can try this again for 2012, i hope you guys wont kick me out of utah if im driving a jk , will you ???

Back