• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire upgrade for a stock XJ

DC5XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I need new tires for the winter as the current one's are almost shot. Don't have money to do a lift yet but wanted to get a wide chunky stance instead of wasting money on new "stock sized" tires, and having something that looks good and functions well with maybe a 2-inch budget lift later on...Yes having your cake and eating it too...

So, Is it possible to run a 255/70/15 on a stock un-lifted XJ? The biggest tire I'm being told that you can run stock is a 30X9.5, the 255 is wider at just about 10" but not as tall, which is actually what I want. Would this work, or is the width going to cause problems? I was going to put these on new 15X8's, would a suggested back spacing or spider trax spacers help?????

THX!

I would go to dicount tire and have them test fit one on your XJ they will do that for free.then you can turn your wheel lock to lock and see what the clearance is going to be!

can't tell you much about fitment, but my personal experience with winter tires... skinny is better. unless your plans are to offroad it more than road driving. if you have snow, thinner tires will cut through much better than wide tires. the difference between my old 33x12.5 and my new 33x10.5 is unbelievable. only 2" less width per tire, but that difference drives so much nicer, steers easier, and handles much better than the wide tires did.

as for fitment, rims will help get bigger tires in there, stock ones with bigger tires may cause some rubbing when turning tight.

you'll be fine.

the width problems don't come until you're about 12" wide. I had 33" tires with stock lift on my comanche before I lifted it...ran it for a few weeks that way with just fender rub on turns, and of course bottoming out.

Thanks for all the info guys!!!

If I can find a place to test fit locally that would def help, mainly just to see if I like it or not, I'll look into that. But yes a thinner tire would work better in the snow (good point)thats also something to consider...

Wow 33"s on stock, that's awesome!

do some trimming run flareless or move the flares up and run a 30 or 31. A 31 would be good because it will look fine if you wind up throwing a 3.5 inch kit or something like that

Also 31's are a more common tire and may well end up being cheaper than a 30 or the 255's. Mine were ;)

theNAST1EST said:
...it'd be nice if we could run flareless in PA...

:cry:

You can't run without flares in PA? That sucks, I see a guy around town all the time without flares, not crazy about how it looks but I should ask him if he's had any issues...that would obviously be a quick fix...

wow...my buddy has a YJ and gets pulled over all the time...

cops always say that no part of your tire can be out past your stock fender flare...so my buddy did a little digging around and found the law stating that 2" is the max

PA is so messed up...hell, i got pulled over because the cop was convinced my rear bumper was too far off the ground...
:bs:

DC5XJ, I'd suggest getting some rims with 3.75" backspacing...will give you slightly wider stance and more clearance for that extra rubber you want to run.

DC5XJ said:
You can't run without flares in PA? That sucks, I see a guy around town all the time without flares, not crazy about how it looks but I should ask him if he's had any issues...that would obviously be a quick fix...

technically you can run without flares in PA. it has to do with tire coverage. you just cant have the tire tread stick out past the body/flares. if you have very skinny tires you dont need to have flares

they fit just fine, but they rub the control arms on turns, you need to bumpstop, and they also rub the swaybar. generally not much rub on the flares if you bumpstop.

but yes, they fit.

Back