• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aux Efan drama!!

tommyboy

NAXJA Forum User
So i did the override switch on my 98 xj for the e fan about a month ago. I used 10 gauge wire and a 12 volt diode with a spdt switch and hot wired it to my cig lighter. Well recently it stopped working. i havent wheeled it either since the switch install. I checked my connections and it all seems to be in tune. Im gonna pull all the wiring out and start over, but say its not my connections...what else could be the problem? Maybe the stock relay? The gauge of wires used? Or...?

Hallo. In my opinion you can better keep it simple and don't use the existing relais.
I used a new relay and switch the fan on ,by making ground in the cabin.
It is a very safe way and not involving the ECU. Is there a wire to the fanmotor in a '98? then you can use the diagram.

'92 XJ

Last edited:
Hallo Tommyboy. I found out that the wire to the fan is hot (when ignitionkey on).
ECU switchs, to make ground for the fan. So a diagram is simpler, but use a relay. This is for newer XJ's.

Last edited:
might be the stock relay. I just put a switched/fused power to one of the pins on the relay and thats worked great for me for a few yrs now.

When I put in a switch for my fan (98) I just ran a wire from the battery to the switch then right to the wire before it goes to the fan motor. Turns on Automatically with the AC and if I forget to flip the switch to power it while its hot it still come on. been two years and have had no problems thus far.

Bill, I've done that samething basically, but with a diode. I'm afraid it is the stock relay. And win idk if I follow what you mean. All I know is something fried and idk what.

Doesn't a diode pass electricity one direction and not the other? I guess I don't really understand what the diode is for in your case. In alternators, they allow the current to flow one direction and not the other so that AC becomes DC. Were you afraid of current going the wrong direction into the PCM? From what I remember, you take your ohmmeter and should have no resistace one way (the way you want the current to flow), and infinite resistance the other way. If you have infinite resistance both ways, that is your problem.

well i fixed the damn thing tonight. what happen was when i first wired it i had used 16 ga for the power from the battery to the switch and it was burning the wire out so i rewired it with 10 or 12 ga, forgot but its all good. ah ya and this time instead of wiring it to my cig lighter i hooked it up to my power outlet...little did i know that it would be a continuous power supply. oh well! thanks tho guys!!!

Back