• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electric Fan

Vanquish

NAXJA Forum User
I recently found the fan on a Ford Contour(3.0 V6) was thin enough to fit between my water pump and radiator. I grabbed it and put it in.

The fan itself is made to be a puller fan, but that didnt seem to work too great for me. What do you suppose I should use it as? A puller or a pusher?

However I've tried both ways and my motor runs a lot hotter with this fan than a clutch fan that didnt clutch. Maybe I'm missing something? When the fan is on you can feel the air about a foot away from the truck(going through the rad) so I have no doubt it blows enough...

Any input appreciated, thanks!

depends what route you want to take.
if you've already taken out all the parts for the clutch fan than look for a 3.8L Taurus fan and have fun makin it work... I'm still workin at it now and then. You could also get a new clutch fan and put it back int he old ones place, they do work well when they work properly.
Search on here and you'll find lots of threads on this topic... but those thoughts will get you started

another option I am starting to look into is finding a wrecker that has a newer sport car with turbo. they usually have a elec fan to save few HP, and my buddies with even non turbo's move a lot of air with the fans they have on theirs. there's not a lot of room under there either so one of those fans may fit ok, and work well.

personally I have to opposite problem of everyone on here it seems. my Xj runs cool. so trying one of these really shouldn't hurt my rig, and the times I use it off road I can find out just how well it works by only turning it on and leaving the aux fan off for a while.

The fan is a twin speed fan, however when I was putting it in both of the positives touched and both got power...so now both wires go at the same speed, which is high.

This electric fan thing has been gone over and over here on this very forum.

Seems that the problem you are having is one or more of a few possible things. . . .

You said you can feel air when standing away from the Jeep. If thats the case, you are using it as a pusher and is blowing already heated air through the radiator and out through the front grille. It is said to be better to use a fan as a puller and pull cold/cool air into the radiator toward the engine.

That fan should definitely be a two speed fan. If there are three prongs in the electrical connector, then its a two speed fan. Make it run on "high" to get the most out of it.

Also, if the fan is just too large to fit against the radiator then you are probably not pulling/pushing enough air actually THROUGH the radiator core. Fans need to fit pretty close to the core so it doesnt lose the air pressure to the sides. This is why most fans have shrouds so that air flow is directed and channeled through the radiator.

Back