• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sources for Meters etc.

DIGITRUCK

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

I need some Online/Mail Order Meter Sources for:

1. An inexpensive CLIP ON (INDUCTION TYPE) DC AMP METER (up to at least 200 Amps)

2. KRIKIT (sp.?) BELT TENSION METER or other model.

MODEL #'s and/or PART #'s would be great.

Most of my local stores don't have a clue. ex. "Oh yeah, we have that." I drive to them and the Meter only measures Voltage not AMPS!

The KRIKIT, I may as well be from Mars... LOL

Thx.

89Daytona said:
1. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=42397
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=42396
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95683
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95652

****Hi, These meters all read AMPS in AC? Does it matter when I read the AMPS from the Alternator and/or Battery that the readings are in AC?

Does anyone know whether I should get one to read AC or DC for AMPS?

Thx.

DIGITRUCK said:
****Hi, These meters all read AMPS in AC? Does it matter when I read the AMPS from the Alternator and/or Battery that the readings are in AC?

Does anyone know whether I should get one to read AC or DC for AMPS?
You would have to email tech help a harborfreight to get more info on which meter would work for you or for more info on them http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/cs.taf?f=mail&[email protected]

mccastlej said:
You cannot read D.C. Amps with and A.C. ammeter. It will not work at all. D.C. and A.C. are two ENTIRELY DIFFERENT forms of electricity.

Which is why the ammeter I posted a link to is specified for automotive use... It runs -75:0:+75A for alternators and -600:0:+600A for starter circuits. Granted, you'll only see anything like 600A if you're running a check on a large Diesel engine, but it should serve (I think the one I've got runs -60:0:+60 and -300:0:+300A)

5-90 said:
Which is why the ammeter I posted a link to is specified for automotive use... It runs -75:0:+75A for alternators and -600:0:+600A for starter circuits. Granted, you'll only see anything like 600A if you're running a check on a large Diesel engine, but it should serve (I think the one I've got runs -60:0:+60 and -300:0:+300A)

This ammeter you posted looks to me like it would be great to use. It doesn't appear to be a clamp type like he was looking for, but I can't tell much from the picture. I wonder how accurate it is?

I was just trying to get the point accross that good tech support would have told them if they called.

mccastlej said:
This ammeter you posted looks to me like it would be great to use. It doesn't appear to be a clamp type like he was looking for, but I can't tell much from the picture. I wonder how accurate it is?

I was just trying to get the point accross that good tech support would have told them if they called.

Assuming HF has good TS - I've not dealt with them.

It's not a "clamp-on," but most automotive high-current ammeters aren't. There should be two grooves in the back - the smaller groove responds on the lower scale, and the larger groove on the high scale. You just lay the wire in the groove (moving whichever bit you need to - usually, the meter is moved,) and hold it in place while either cranking for the starter) or running all accessories (for alternator output.) You can also run all the accessories with the engine OFF to get an idea what the system will draw.

Since it works off of the magnetic field produced with the movement of current, there is going to be some inherent inaccuracy. However, it will give you a good idea of what's going on. I don't consider it an accurate diagnostic instrument - but it can tell you if you should take a deeper look, and do so without having to disassemble or dismount anything.

Hey Guys,

I searched and found this CLIP ON made by TENMA. It's only $99! Here's the spec. What do you think, will it fit my needs? Thx.

http://www.mcminone.com/product.asp...ategory_name=3830502&product_id=72-7220#specs

Product Details:
DIGITAL CLAMP AMMETER AC/DC CURRENT

Features: Specifications Range Resolution Accuracy
AC (TRMS) power 40.00KW, 400.00KW 0.01KW, 0.1KW +/- 2% + 5, +/- 2% + 5
DC power 40.00KW, 400.00KW 0.01KW, 0.1KW. +/- 2% + 5, +/- 2% + 5
AC current 400A, 700A 0.1A, 1A +/- 1% + 5, +/- 1% + 5
DC current 400A, 800A 0.1A, 1A +/- 1% + 2, +/- 1% +2
AC volts 400V, 600V 0.1V, 1V +/- 1% + 5, +/- 1% + 5
DC volts 400V, 600V 0.1V, 1V +/- 1% +1, +/- 1% +1
Resistance 400 ohm, 4000 ohm 100M ohm, 1 ohm +/- 1% + 3, +/- 1% + 3

Catalog Details:
catalog 51: 000
catalog 50; 515

From the specs, it looks like it should work.

Looks like it should work. It would be nice if there was a product manual that you could view online for it. Tenma makes okay stuff for the home mechanic. It is definately not idiot proof like Fluke meters are.

DIGITRUCK said:
***The Specs say it's for V-BELTS? Isn't the 4.0L driven by a Serpentine Belt?

Will it work for Serp Belts too? Also, on that note, what should my Tension Reading be when the Belt's adjusted properly (# lbs)?

Thx.

It works fine with serpintine belts. The instructions that came with the Kriket actually say that it's for v-grooved belts.

The tension readings you are trying to get are 180-200 ft lbs for a new belt, and 140-160 ft for an old belt. A belt is considered new if it has been used 15 minutes or less, according the the FSM.

The Kriket really is pretty slick...

Last edited:
Ivan said:
It works fine with serpintine belts. There's instructions with the Kriket that address the tension readings you are trying to get. It really is pretty slick...

***So that model listed in the URL will work for SERPENTINE BELTS. Maybe I'm misreading something but the specs say it's for V-BELTS.

I just wanna order the correct KRIKIT.

btw - BOTH KRIKIT's specs say for V-BELTS hence my confusion. Does anyone know which one is right?

DIGITRUCK said:
***So that model listed in the URL will work for SERPENTINE BELTS. Maybe I'm misreading something but the specs say it's for V-BELTS.

btw - BOTH KRIKIT's specs say for V-BELTS hence my confusion. Does anyone know which one is right?

I grabbed the box mine came in.... It says "V-ribbed tension guage" and the model on the box is KR2.... The last part of the UPC code is xxxx35216 (the leading numbers were torn off)

The one in the line appears to be the same one I have....

DIGITRUCK said:

A "V-belt" is the one with the wedge-shaped cross section. A "Micro-V" belt is another name for a "serpentine" belt or "flat" belt - it refers to the fact that there are several small V-ribs on the inside of the belt (as run.) Gates uses the "Micro-V" designator, and I think Goodyear does as well.

Back