• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lost Coast - Usal Trail Run - May 25th

Ivan

I Jeep, therefore, I am..
By popular demand, it looks like the Lost Coast - Usal Trail run will take place on Sunday May 25th (Memorial Day Weekend). We will all meet in Garberville at the Wagon Wheel Restaurant for breakfast (for those that want to eat) at 8:30am. The restaurant is not all that hard to find as there is only one main drag in Garberville, and the restaurant located at the southern end of town, just as you pull off Hwy 101 if you're traveling north. Actually, there are only about 3 restaurants in Garberville that serve breakfast :)

After breakfast, we'll head out toward Shelter Cove for about 20 minutes, before we hit the trail head. Like I mentioned before, stock vehicles are encouraged as this is a relatively mild trail, but not without it's mud hazards should the rain continue on like it has been lately. The trail is extremely scenic and frequent stops are encouraged to take in the views. Once we reach the end of the trail run (which will take about 3 hours or so depending on stops), we wind up at Usal Beach. There, you can drive around on the beach if you want or just explore the creek that empties into the ocean there. If you are so inclined, there is also a campground there at Usal Beach which I believe spaces are on a first come first serve basis. Or, you can find lodging in Fort Bragg which is about 25 minutes south of Usal Beach. If you don't want to stay in Garberville the night before the run, you can stay in Fort Bragg, drive to Garberville for the run, then end up in Fort Bragg again. Its about an hour and half or so away...just a thought.

So I can get a rough idea as to how many to expect, please post to let me know if you plan on coming....thanks!

For those that want to camp out near Garberville, here are a few recommendations:

Richardson's Grove State Campground. About 10 minutes south of Garberville. Spaces may be iffy as this tends to fill up quickly.
http://www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=422

Standish Hickey State Campground - About 30 minutes south of Garberville. Spaces may also be iffy. Call now for reservations.
http://www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=423

Dean Creek Campground - Private campground just about 10 minutes north of Garberville
http://www.deancreekresort.com/

Or check out the lodging section for Garberville for more ideas on where to stay
http://www.garberville.org/

For those of you wanting to stay in or near Fort Bragg, here are a few recommendations:

Check out the lodging section for Fort Bragg for more details on where to stay
http://www.mendocinocoast2.com/

Mackerricher State Park is about 3 miles north of Fort Bragg. Check for reservations as this too fills up quickly
http://www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=436

Oh, by all means, come on early and enjoy the awesome scenery the Lost Coast has to offer :) Make the best of your 3 day weekend!

Mackerricher is already full, Standish-Hickey has some openings.

Do we have enough folks going to warrant a group site?

Lisa and I will be going up either Thursday night or Friday.

I am in and my sister is probably going to go as well.She has a stock XJ.I am game for a group site or whatever.It would be nice to camp together if possible.

I'd like to go. I'm going to try to bing along my girlfriend. I thought this would be a good introduction to wheelin' trip. She is a little sceptical of this whole off-roading thing. I'd be cool with a group site. How many people do we need to get a group site.

Karlm

Karl,
Went last year with Bone Stock XJ, one week off the lot. Great introduction, everyone was real nice, you'll have lots of fun. My wife and I felt very welcomed even though the XJ was outgunned having no mods, not even tow hooks. Definitely a good group to hang out with.

Family, church and work conflicts has kept me from other Sierra chapter events this year. IF I can wake up early enough on Sunday for the three hour drive up, I'll be there. My daughter graduates from HS on the 24th.

Ivan, Thanks for putting this trip together again.

Tom

Chuck,
I did it. Bone stock. No tow hooks front, no skids, no reciever hitch. Jeep Jamboree lists this trail as a 1-2, perfect for the new XJ/ZJ cowd and introducing the wife to 4 wheeling, she never went out in my old CJ. Still made me real nervous being new to the group, relying on their generosity & understanding and showing up without any minimum items other than a strap from my old CJ days.

Never would I recommend driving anywhere off road without some form of recovering point. Like I said earlier, the XJ was one week off the lot. On the trail my xj was put in the center of the pack to be shepered by the others. We went through 3-4 large puddles, not real deep, sweating hands on the wheel, nervous bride (it was our 22nd aniversary that day) riding shotgun. I knew that the folks from NAXJA would not leave me stuck, should I have become stuck, but........the water looked cold and the interior was, well..... new, and clean. Did I mention the bride factor?

Anway, no issues, it's a Jeep, performed just like it was suppose to, the sneakers stayed clean as well as the floor mats. Touched bottom once an an incline.

At the beach while having sandwiches with the group, the mention of the bottom bump and tow hooks came up within earshot of the bride. So when the custom brackets, mopar fuel tank skid, towing reciever and the off road general store super nerfs and transfer case skid showed up on the monthly charge card bill there was no issue with the first national bank of Monica.

Go enjoy yourself and hope to see you there.
Tom

It's amazing where a stock xj will go. I got my first real stuck about a week ago when I sucked water into the intake (I'm now waiting for a water resistant Outerwears filter cover). I really want to be able to let my girlfreind drive some. I figured that this trip sounded low-key enough that she could get some wheel time in. I look forward to seeing you all.

Hey Tom, glad to see your still alive and hope you two can make the run.

I'll have the Mrs. check for a group site at Standish-Hickey.

If we can make it I am bringing my WJ which is stock so there should not be any worries. It is more scenic than hard wheeling I think. No matter what it sure looks like fun.

Ed,

Thanks for the very interesting link and information. The particular trail (road) does have some sort of State designated marker at each end. Something to the effect of SR (insert number here), or something like that. From what I can recall, it's relatively small in size, green in color and sort of "badge" shaped. There is also a sign stating that "This road is not maintained year around and could be impassible at times"...again, not exactly those words, but something to that effect. I'll pay closer attention to it next time I'm out there.

From what I can gather from local lore around here, that particular trail we will be traveling on is actually an old stage coach trail that connected Mendocino up into Humboldt. There's an old stage coach station labled as "Denny" which is now nothing more that a spot on the map.

I do understand about the other Kings Range areas, and yes, those are a huge concern about being closed.

No group sites at the campground. We'll be making our reservations this Friday.

When I checked last night, there were 22 sites still open at the Hickey Rock campground.

We acually have a family reunion tha weekend but we are fast trying to get out of it. We will probably go up on Fri. and then come back on Tues. Maybe Mon. I am hoping for a budget boost and some 31's for the Grand before we go.

Back