NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Other Technical Forums > JeepSpeed, Prerunner and Competition Tech Forum
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

JeepSpeed, Prerunner and Competition Tech Forum For Discussion of Modications related to Prerunning, JeepSpeed, KOH, Rock Racing, and any other speed based competitions

Old June 24th, 2017, 13:56
NAXJA Forum User

Re: '97 XJ Project "Body Shot"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyxj View Post
Alaska has a lot of deep water crossings.
I would be concerned about using the headlight as an air intake.
My XJ's headlights have been momentarily under water a few times
One good gulp of water and the engine is history.
A cowl intake might be more appropriate.
Yea I also thought about having a way to disconnect the airbox from the headlight intake when needed.

Anyone have thoughts on my transmission concern?
Old June 27th, 2017, 18:36
NAXJA Forum User

Continuing on with the Transgo Shift Kit install. Figured out the bolt in the pan was from the filter. No damage anywhere and it's easy to believe some maintenance was done before and one of the filter bolts wasn't torqued right or something. Had to order some gaskets from Transgo and the guy on the phone said that bolt in the pan wouldn't bother him at all.

Um yea.....Going with the "Hot Rod" shifts

Have the front Dana 44 most of the way assembled. Needs calipers (done, just not on, tie rod and once it's under the Jeep the sway bar brackets will get burned in if they're in the right spot, track bar mount and UCA mount)

Only thing I don't like about this axle is that it's very heavy, especially for not be a 1 ton axle. It came with chromoly axle shafts and new u-joints which is awesome. Installed 5.13's and a true trac. New ball joints and brakes. A lot of it was in great shape and mostly new parts. The grease on hubs and wheel bearings was nice and new, seals were all new. Pretty easy rebuild since it wasn't a typical junkyard axle.

Interesting to note: The Reid Racing knuckle has non-adjustable cast in steering stops in both directions on one knuckle, and they limit the steering more than the stock stop bolt on the stock knuckle. Stock knuckle has one bolt, because with one on each knuckle steering would be limited left and right by each knuckle. I just hope I'm not losing any turning radius. We shall see

Last edited by The_Punisher; June 27th, 2017 at 18:45.
Old July 13th, 2017, 15:20
NAXJA Forum User

Photobucket can suck it. They want a lot of money to share photos now. Can anyone suggest another service or another way to put pictures on here? Become a paying member or what?

Also, mostly finished the AW4 shift kit today. It was intimidating at first, but instructions were great and in hindsight it's very easy. I went for full "hot rod" shifts.
Old April 15th, 2018, 20:33
NAXJA Forum User

Going to try to post some updated pics of my build. I stopped updating this because I couldn't post pics. No one likes looking at this crap without pics.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old April 15th, 2018, 20:34
NAXJA Forum User

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG]
[/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old April 15th, 2018, 20:39
NAXJA Forum User

Using 3 lithium batteries. Did a lot of research and talking with the tech guy at Shorai. I had experience with one of these on a sport bike and fell in love. 2 would be powerful enough, 3 was to protect them during charging.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old April 15th, 2018, 20:40
NAXJA Forum User

My deaver coils unseated at full droop. I fought with either limiting travel, custom springs etc. In the other previous pic you can see I switched to the longest metal cloak "true dual rate" coil. Accutune offroad actually felt that the deaver has too high of a spring rate too.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old April 15th, 2018, 20:44
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Punisher View Post
Using 3 lithium batteries. Did a lot of research and talking with the tech guy at Shorai. I had experience with one of these on a sport bike and fell in love. 2 would be powerful enough, 3 was to protect them during charging.
[IMG][/IMG]
Forgot to add the other details on these. They (combined) are shy of 10 lbs! Stock lead battery is 30 lbs.

I cut 5 lbs out of the hood. Engine is 40 lbs lighter. Ditching A/C. Should be something like 100 lbs reduction off the front.
Old April 15th, 2018, 20:49
NAXJA Forum User

Also I weighed my jeep with 4 corner scales. My goal was 3500 lbs. I did not hit that!

Initial weight after majority of build. Full tank and spare in the back

Total=3,870
Front=2,130 (55%)
Rear=1740(45%)

I'll be switching to this spare carrier. http://www.offroadxtreme.com/engine-...-tire-carrier/

I found the way to calculate how much your distribution is affected when you move weight out past the rear axle. So after moving some weight rearward and reducing some from the front my final numbers will be:

Total=3,910
Front=1,950 (49.9%)
Rear=1,960 (50.1%)

I was shooting for more than 50% to the rear. This is the best I'll get.
Old May 8th, 2018, 20:11
NAXJA Forum User

Engine should go in this Saturday

3" dump off the header!

Old May 31st, 2018, 10:51
NAXJA Forum User

You're at 3900lbs without a cage or do you have one? Are you planning on racing? If so why did you go with 2.0s vs a 2.5 or 3.0?
Old June 16th, 2018, 23:48
NAXJA Forum User

No cage. Not going to race this thing anytime soon. It's a fun weekend warrior. I had a detailed budget for this, couldn't afford larger than 2.0's due to cost. I though initially it'd be good to get up and running to see what I do and don't like. Mounting shocks in stock location was quick and easy too.
Old June 17th, 2018, 15:30
NAXJA Forum User

I'd also like to add I have experience with fox 2.0's on my 2013 JK 4 door. I romped on that thing good and did not experience noticeable shock fade. So I knew for what I like to do some remote res 2.0's would fit the bill
Old June 17th, 2018, 15:38
NAXJA Forum User

I regret doing this in a neighborhood. It's very very loud. But I looked up and saw my buddy with his phone out.

https://vimeo.com/275532176

I flexed it out a bit to make sure my unique exhaust won't contact the tire.

https://vimeo.com/275532350
Old June 18th, 2018, 12:53
NAXJA Forum User

Great videos! Awesome build.