• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Computer stuff, read the fine print

RichP

NAXJA Forum User
Oh man, got a run of servers to do so I went with intel SE750 series dual xeon processor boards and dual processors. They all came in yesterday, Holy smokes, those boards are freakin HUGE. No way would they fit in a full tower antec case. Should have read the fine print on intels site for the demensions. Luckily the supplier, united micro, pulled my butt out the fire and a chenbro case that is $300 per case cheaper than the intel recommended one is available and they are on the way....with their power supplies. First batch of the newer xeons I've done, they have heatsinks you could hurt somebody with...
Man are my seti workunits going to take a jump next week during burn in :D
Lets see, thats 16 3.5ghz xeons running on 8 servers.... that ought to be good for at least 50 work units a day...

RichP said:
Lets see, thats 16 3.5ghz xeons running on 8 servers.... that ought to be good for at least 50 work units a day...

Screw SETI, cluster them - everyone needs a cluster ;)

RichP said:
Oh man, got a run of servers to do so I went with intel SE750 series dual xeon processor boards and dual processors. They all came in yesterday, Holy smokes, those boards are freakin HUGE. No way would they fit in a full tower antec case. Should have read the fine print on intels site for the demensions. Luckily the supplier, united micro, pulled my butt out the fire and a chenbro case that is $300 per case cheaper than the intel recommended one is available and they are on the way....with their power supplies. First batch of the newer xeons I've done, they have heatsinks you could hurt somebody with...
Yes, they are a large case. I'm surprised that you had a problem with the Antec case though. I installed my "fleet" in the Antec 4U rack mount case. Worked out nice.

Nice boards; much nicer getting Gentoo on them compared to the Tyan 2723s I had been buying previously.

r@m

Wow. You own all of those? That is sweet. I lease mine. Must be nice to own and have posession of 8 Dual Xeons.

I do all of my web hosting on dual xeons, except my personal stuff (lil P4 3.2 www.talkmilitary.com ). But for me, physical possesssion is useless without all of the proper datacenter stuff like power conditions, UPS, %100 redundant power, dual back-up routers and pipes, Tripping Point Intrusion detection, Network Based IDS, DRAC, etc..... But I am too remote to have that sort of stuff, let alone the required redundant network pipes.

Drools....

RichP said:

Glenn said:
Wow. You own all of those? That is sweet. I lease mine. Must be nice to own and have posession of 8 Dual Xeons.
Drools....

These are not mine, I'm building them for the raceway and a couple of other customers that want some grunt. I just get to build em, test em, burn em in and play with them for a while. I generally only do server builds twice a year, it's an expensive proposition at $3000 ea. These are the first new xeons though, prior to that I generally did just P4's. I'm just wondering what my electric bill will look like next month after running 8 650w power supplies 24/7 for a week.
Actually I guess I do till they pay the invoices :D

Back