• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Beat the Heat

jeepgeek

NAXJA Forum User
I was trying to come up with some kind of heat insulation for the drive train tunnel in my XJ. I live in FL and during the summer the A\C can't overcome the cab temps. I have no carpet and herculined the floors so Dynamat will not adhere to the surface. I bought a water heater blanket at Home Depot and cut it to fit under the console and hang down to floorboard. I sealed the edges with aluminum tape to keep moisture out. I bought a roll of black vinyl floor runner (carpet protection) to put over the foil insulation, cut it to fit (had to overlap two pieces because of the curve in the console) and screwed it to the console. Works great and cost about $30 but had enough material left to do another Jeep.

Vent the hood.
Paint your Jeep a very light color.
Tint the glass big time.
Replace any bad door seals.
have you AC check make sure it's up to spec. My AC handle 107 deg when towing 3800 LB no problem. OK I had to turn off AC on the big hills.

I was trying to come up with some kind of heat insulation for the drive train tunnel in my XJ. I live in FL and during the summer the A\C can't overcome the cab temps. I have no carpet and herculined the floors so Dynamat will not adhere to the surface. I bought a water heater blanket at Home Depot and cut it to fit under the console and hang down to floorboard. I sealed the edges with aluminum tape to keep moisture out. I bought a roll of black vinyl floor runner (carpet protection) to put over the foil insulation, cut it to fit (had to overlap two pieces because of the curve in the console) and screwed it to the console. Works great and cost about $30 but had enough material left to do another Jeep.
Sounds like you may have a good idea. How thick is the water heater blanket?

Been thinking a fire blanket might be good for this type of project.

or you could just loose the doors!

The water heater blanket is about a half inch thick. Yes I have tinted windows, the Jeep is silver, the A/C is up to par, the hood is vented, don't want the carpet and doors are nice on a daily driver. Will try to get some pics up soon.

Use LizardSkin ceramic insulation for undercoating. Downside is it cost more than $30.

You just need more cabin ventilation.
Sawzall works great for this, although I prefer angle grinders.

100_1190-1.jpg

Back