• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

231 Output Shaft

Lincoln

NAXJA Member #321
NAXJA Member
I wonder if this is why some people have problems with the hack and tap kits and some don't. There is a pretty big flaw right at the speedo gear on this output shaft. If you look closely you can see a short crack right to the left and one on the next tooth to the right that is longer.

This shaft was purchased in a kit so I don't know the whole life. It has spent the last 2 years behind a 4 cyl.

231_shaft_flaw.jpg

Rug that makes sense. I was going to ask how a tat could cause that.

Stupid old people anyway. Old mans YJ. I'm guessing maybe I should replace that or it might be an issue with the 4:1 and 2-low. :D

Maybe he'll listen this time. He saved $100 by not going HD.

I believe I asked some time ago, if anyone thought it would help or harm the shaft if I were to fill in the speedo splines with a tig. This is the weakest point on the whole shaft. I see more breaks there than any other.

Of course, I will always recommend the HD shaft for the 231 any day, but there isn't any other choice for the 242.

Back