• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Paris Ice Caves 7-11&12-14

SandySteve

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
There were five XJ's on this trip. Ryan and family and Jeff and son camped Friday night on top of the mountain east of Hyrum. Tony & Cheryl(?) from Idaho with 3 offsping, Brian(?)and a friend, and I with wife and friend joined the group Saturday morning where the Right Hand Fork road joins 89. Sorry, I am atrocious with names. We proceeded up to Franklin Basin where the main order of business was taking pictures of wildflowers. After a stop at the Willow Flats campground (Idaho), we proceeded over the mountain to the Ice Caves. In the cave several people managed to fall on the ice. Then it was to Garden City for a shake and home. The only pics I took were of wildflowers, not XJ's so I will not post them. In the future if you want pictures of XJ's come on the trip with a camera and take them yourself ;-).

It was nice to meet you Steve.Its actually Troy and Shari we had a good time.Camping with Dr moab and XJeeper was fun as well hope to go on more runs in the future.

Re: Paris Ice Caves 7-11&12-14

I'm still bummed I missed it. Guess that's what I get for parking the jeep. I spent all weekend spending money on ATF since my first thought didn't fix the problem.

Still waiting to see pics since I couldn't go.

Couplea photos.

I almost didn't want to post them. Something is wrong with my poor old Nikon. It has lost it's ability to focus.

Super Moon, from our camp Friday night.
DSC_2256 by drmoab, on Flickr

Wildflowers in Franklin basin.
DSC_2282 by drmoab, on Flickr

DSC_2283 by drmoab, on Flickr

Jeff and Steve, in the middle of the flowers.
DSC_2285 by drmoab, on Flickr

DSC_2290 by drmoab, on Flickr

Climbing the German dugway
DSC_2299 by drmoab, on Flickr

Inside the ice cave.
DSC_2310 by drmoab, on Flickr

We wound up with a small group on this run, but fun was had by all.

Ryan and family, Troy and family and Mason and I met in Hyrum, UT on Friday afternoon and headed up Blacksmith Fork to Left Hand Fork. There had been some rain showers earlier in the day, just enough to keep the trail dust down.

IMG_5181_zpsf03e72f7.jpg

IMG_5169_zpsad0d8526.jpg

We made good time to the 4 corners area where we planned on camping for the evening, but since our group was small, we decided to head up to the warming hut camp below Logan Peak for the night, where I had originally wanted to camp. This was a great decision.

IMG_5178_zps5309d814.jpg

IMG_5184_zps3b1ed921.jpg

IMG_5185_zps61c6220a.jpg

We set up camp at the warming hut and got a fire going, as there was a bit of a chill in the air. Everyone ate their dinners and as the light was fading, Mason broke out the pneumatic carrot gun to send some orange projectiles downrange. The kids had a blast!

IMG_5187_zps5848bb62.jpg

Carrot Gun Fun
http://vid173.photobucket.com/album...e Valley Run 7-11-14/MVI_5212_zpsaf399dc4.mp4

We sat around the fire and dined on Smores and then the Super Moon popped over the trees. This was an added bonus to the evening, however I later had a hard time falling asleep, as my tent was fully illuminated by the moon.

IMG_5201copyright_zps678eedc8.jpg

IMG_5203-copyright_zpsfee83be5.jpg

We broke camp Saturday morning and headed down Righthand Fork to meet Steve's party and Gifton and his bro, who couldn't join us the night before.

IMG_5220_zps269d243d.jpg

Our group of 5 rigs then raveled up Logan Cyn to the Franklin Basin Road and then headed North towards Idaho. As I had hoped, the basin was awash with color, with the wildflowers in full bloom.

IMG_5231_zpsd90fad0a.jpg

IMG_5245-1_zps2f0055ac.jpg

IMG_5247_zps48412dce.jpg

We proceeded on to the Cub River drainage and then headed East to the German Dugway.

IMG_5254_zpse7b4a159.jpg

IMG_5259_zpsb875ede2.jpg

We followed this route up a series of steep switchbacks (only part of the entire trip that 4wd was required) and topped out at a shaded overlook where we stopped for lunch. More carrots were sent skyward.

IMG_5266_zps7bc726c5.jpg

IMG_5268_zpsed82407c.jpg

After lunch, it was on to the Paris Ice Cave, where we grabbed cameras, sweatshirts and flashlights to explore the inner chamber. We found a large snowdrift in the outer chamber, and the inner chamber still had giant icicles in one corner.

IMG_5274_zpsc7dbd64a.jpg

IMG_5307_zpsb036ebd3.jpg

IMG_5300_zpscf233d54.jpg

IMG_5295_zps1b0c775b.jpg

Cave opening to the inner chamber
IMG_5278_zpsd20a15cd.jpg

IMG_5281_zps9901cae0.jpg

With the cave exploring completed, we headed down Paris Cyn to the highway. Troy's family were spent and they peeled off and headed back to Preston, while the rest of our group headed into Garden City for a raspberry shake at the famous LaBeau's Drive-In.

LaBeaus_zps2bbcc0d7.jpg

We all split up after the shake break and headed our separate ways, but another great IC run with good company and old and new friends. If you weren't there, you really missed out and need to make it to the next run.

X

Back