• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Providence Canyon run

Jerry.Allen

XJ newbie
Had a great time meeting new folks and hitting the trails! After 1 hour at the car wash and approximately $15, my rig is about 50lbs lighter, no more mud!!!!
I'm looking forward to the next run.

Im sitting at the car wash right now, waiting for a stall. It was a great day on the trail, could have done without the mud, but at least the rain kept the temps cool and the dust down.

Thanks for leading he group XJEEPER. That's was a fun day. Luckily I own a pressure washer but I did spend a good 30 min getting the mud off.

No kidding!

I don't own a pressure washer but luckily I live down the street from someone who does - thanks XJess!

It was great wheeling with everyone, I didn't get too many pics but will post what I have tomorrow.

We had a small turnout at yesterdays Providence Canyon run, but all who came seemed to enjoy themselves. After grouping up at Macey's, (6 Rigs) we drove to the trailhead and proceeded to the Quarry area, where we parked to air down tires. The kids disbursed to explore and soon discovered the abundance of fossilized crustaceans in the shale deposits in the area. DeadEyeJ's rig began dumping coolant upon arrival to the quarry, as the new radiator in his ZJ was loosing pressure between the core and plastic tank. He decided to limp it back to town and head for home, to source a warrantied unit.

Aired down, now with 5 rigs, we proceeded up the canyon. A light mist began to fall, keeping the trail dust down and the temps cool. Everyone made the challenging section above the quarry, which is loaded with basketball and football sized rocks that are constantly moving under your tires, with larger boulders mixed in.
My son and nephew started grabbing the heads of flowers along the trail that were past their prime and lobbed "trail bombs" at G2WANIT's rig behind us.......they soon joined in with return fire and a moving "trail bomb" battle ensued!

Reaching the upper basin, we proceeded to the warming hut, where I had planned to break for lunch, but there was a party camping there already, so we moved on and proceeded up to the summit of Mt Logan. It was now raining steadily, so we circled and headed down to find a drier spot under the forest canopy for our lunch spot. We soon found one that met the needs of our small group and broke out the food.

After lunch, we headed N-East, towards our trail exit point in Logan Canyon. We passed a few rigs along the way and the light showers continued.....and the trail became just sticky enough to coat our rigs with gooey mud.

The rain had let up at this point and I spied a pulloff, so I figured this was a good place to break out my compressed air powered carrot gun and let the kids (and adults) send some bunny food down range. Everyone took their turn and had a great time.

We then moved on down the trail and eventually stopped to air up at the trail head parking lot in Logan Canyon. Thanks to everyone who attended and for making this a fun family run. Sorry Jared and family had to bail early, but hopefully they can make it out next month.

The rain prevented me from taking too many pics, but here are a few:

Grouped up at the Quarry to air down, kids exploring for fossils
IMG_1299_zps063fa3e2.jpg

Relief stop in the upper basin

IMG_1306_zps7fa99f12.jpg

Nice buck spotted in the basin below Mt Logan

IMG_1309_zpsd3b0ed4c.jpg

Break in the showers, time to get out the pneumatic carrot gun!

IMG_1314_zps09841988.jpg

Mason showing em how it's done

IMG_1321_zps84fd2b38.jpg

IMG_1318_zps725b1260.jpg

IMG_1345_zps0d1d58fa.jpg

IMG_1336_zpsc3eae956.jpg

Last edited:
More like rinsed off the mud, now I need to get some RHINO LINER for under the front fenders!!

On the positive side, those that have been on the trails with me know that my OBA is loud, not anymore must have cleared out the breather or knocked something, that was causing the rattle, loose and now it works better than ever and quieter!!!!!!
I should wash my jeep more often Ryan!!! Haha

Alright, a couple more pics:

I was tailing XJeeper all day, and I like to get photos of the buts I follow, so:
9387848961_7107a11735_c.jpg

Too bad I didn't think to get any when the flower-hucking started up... I was too focused on grabbing ammo I could hurl! That was hilarious.

This didn't turn out as well as I hoped, but there's XJess behind and the others - never mind the passed-out passenger:
9387849557_ed0bf0dcb8_c.jpg

The infamous carrot-blasting stop:
9390625508_fd7e67cbdf_c.jpg

I think Jerry won the mud on the side contest - at least on his pass side where he has a slight axle offset going on:
9390627280_be5790376e_c.jpg

Airing up:
9390629036_c43e692025_c.jpg

That carrot shooter was a RIOT - that's now on the family activity list (first the build and then terrorizing the neighborhood :D)

Good times!

Ryan, don't bring your "I went somewhere cooler than you" pics to this thread......(wishin I was in the San Juans.....)

Back