• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

track bar bracket=out of wack steering wheel

4xfishfinder

NAXJA Forum User
94 xj, 4.0L,aw4, 231. I put 3.5 inch coils on and track bar axle end adjustment bracket now the steering wheel is about a 1/4 turn off center. Did I goof or do I recenter the wheel? All help would be great. Thanks all.

you have to adjust the collar on the top of the draglink(near the pitman arm) because of the increased height.

All you need to do is extend the length of the drag link as described above. Just make sure your tires are pointing straight ahead, then unclamp the collar on both ends and turn it in the direction that will make the link longer. Make sure the ignition is not locking the wheel from turning. When you get the steering wheel centered up again just tighten the clamps back up.

Soaking the collar in PB or WD-40 for a while before doing this will make it rotate much easier. It can be pretty damn tight and may need a pipe wrench to get it to turn.

If your track bar is adjustable you probably want to adjust it first.

To adjust the track bar, I like to roll the XJ forward and back about 20-30', with the track bar disconnected, to let the suspension find its neutral position and then adjust and install the track bar.
Next adjust the drag link. It's a good time to do a self-alignment, especially if the ride height has changed.
http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoAlignment.htm

Learn something every day! Well I guess 3.5" lift doesn't need track bar bracket on the axle. Stock bar, no adjustment. Put in the bracket and it kicked the axle 1.5" to the passenger side. Soo I took it back off. Center is great alignment is good. Treachery me to listen the child at 4wheelparts. Thanks for the help folks, and I did as suggested for steering center worked great.

Here is the front end adjustment in order.

1) Adjust upper CA's and lower CA's so that you have 3-5 degrees caster and the tires are centered in the fenders at ride height.
2) Adjust the track bar to center the axle
3) Adjust the toe-in to 1/8" in or dead even
4) Center the steering wheel

Learn something every day! Well I guess 3.5" lift doesn't need track bar bracket on the axle. Stock bar, no adjustment. Put in the bracket and it kicked the axle 1.5" to the passenger side. Soo I took it back off. Center is great alignment is good. Treachery me to listen the child at 4wheelparts. Thanks for the help folks, and I did as suggested for steering center worked great.

Every Jeep is different. At 2-3/4" my axle was shifted so far to the passenger side I had death wobble. I went with an IRO adjustable track bar though.

Back