• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 with ABS problem... (creating one)

Talyn

NAXJA Forum User
I recently acquired an 8.25 to replace the D35 under my XJ. My currentl D35 has ZJ discs with ABS. I would like ot keep my ABS. However, I found a suprise under the drum brakes on the 8.25. Only 1/2" of axle shaft showing. That is a problem because the D35 has like 1.5" to 2" showing so the tone ring fits. The plan was to install my ZJ discs w/ ABS onto the 8.25. Problem is that if I put the tone rings on the 8.25's shafts in the position where they need to be the axle shaft won't fit anymore. Basically, there is too much axle tube after the brake mounting surface.

So, here is the idea... use a cone type tube from the alxe shaft flange, which is wide enough to fit over the axle tube and have the tone ring welded to the end of that.. so it kind of a hat that goes over the axle tube..

How does that idea sound?

-Chris

I guess that would work. But, keep in mind, if you wanted ABS in an XJ, you got the D35 instead of the 8.25. Do you really need ABS?? If so, why not just keep it up front, if that can be done?

If that were my jeep I'd ditch the ABS.

The 8.25 didn't get abs until the Libby, if I'm not mistaken, again. The solution I settled on with my '01 w/ abs increased the durability of the axle and the off highway reliability of the breaks. I tossed the D35 and abs.

I know that the 8.25 never had ABS for the Cherokee. But I would like to make it work. Any ideas? I don't want to compromise onroad saftey for off-road strength.. maybe if it wasn't my driver I would, but it is.

ECKSJAY said:
Huge difference between ABS and non-ABS braking systems, eh?
Yeah, actually, there is a pretty big difference.

Personally, though, I wouldn't try to retrofit ABS to an 8.25" axle. I'd look for some other axle that came with ABS.

ECKSJAY said:
...but it's not such a HUGE difference as to compromise one's safety.
If you drive in icy/snowy conditions on the road, and you aren't skilled in cadence braking, then it most certainly can be.

dmillion said:
If you drive in icy/snowy conditions on the road, and you aren't skilled in cadence braking, then it most certainly can be.

Thank god for AWD then, too. How did we EVER get along without them both all these years?!

:wierd:

I can't quite compare apples to apples here. Because I haven't ever driven an XJ with ABS. How ever I can say that the ABS on the ZJ's is worthless. The ABS so bad on the ZJ that I find myself a bit worried even in normal stops way to often. It's pretty sad that the XJ with 31's, and rear drum has better brakes than the ZJ on stock 235's, and rear disks. Also my mother has a ZJ with out ABS, and her brakes are the best of all three. In fact I can't recall ever driving anything with ABS that was better than a non ABS system.

Talyn said:
errr.. ok.. besides debating if it is useful or not, any ideas on how to make it work on my 8.25?

-Chris

If you are truley interested try studying up on the Libby 8.25 inch anti lock system.

I do know this much about anti locks on the xj. they count the pulses comming in from the tone rings. A wheel that is turning slower (aka few pulses per second) than the other 3 wheels is started to lock up.

If you do tone rings with a differant pitch aka wider bumps and valleys this may give the computers the signal that a tire is starting to lock up when compared to the front axle.

This actually is a tougher problem then just getting some tone rings and sensors mounted. There is also getting the sensors interfaced and then a possible software issue with calibrating the number of pulses front to rear.

good luck with it... IF you do get it working please post up a parts list and pictures.

Good luck with it....

Try looking into what Liberty's do (as suggested) for ABS or also late-'90's Dodge's with the 8.25 (don't remember which models/years).

JAS said:
This actually is a tougher problem then just getting some tone rings and sensors mounted. There is also getting the sensors interfaced and then a possible software issue with calibrating the number of pulses front to rear.

good luck with it... IF you do get it working please post up a parts list and pictures.

Good luck with it....

I already have working ABS from a ZJ on my XJ D35. Pretty easy to do that actually. The tone rings would fit if teh damn 8.25's axle tube wasn't in the way. Getting the sensors to fit is no problem. Pretty much to use this axle with ABS I would need to figure out a way to get the sensors over the axle tube.

-Chris

Timber said:
Try looking into what Liberty's do (as suggested) for ABS or also late-'90's Dodge's with the 8.25 (don't remember which models/years).

I believe Dodge Dakatos have the 8.25 w/ ABS. Then have the tone ring on the carrier near the ring gear. They use one ABS sensor that goes through the housing. If you look at an XJ 8.25 you will see this out crop on the top of it.. that is wher eth sensor would go, but its not drilled for it.

This would present a few problems with the XJ ABS. I already have a XJ 8.25. The XJ's ABS system uses two sensors for the rear, where the Dak's uses one sensor for the rear. Don't know if you could splice the two sensors into one or replace the XJ's ABS computer with teh Dak's computer. will the dak's axle fit under and XJ w/o welding?

I'll look into how kj's use it, but I am betting it is the same as the Dak.

Talyn said:
I believe Dodge Dakatos have the 8.25 w/ ABS. Then have the tone ring on the carrier near the ring gear. They use one ABS sensor that goes through the housing. If you look at an XJ 8.25 you will see this out crop on the top of it.. that is wher eth sensor would go, but its not drilled for it.

This would present a few problems with the XJ ABS. I already have a XJ 8.25. The XJ's ABS system uses two sensors for the rear, where the Dak's uses one sensor for the rear. Don't know if you could splice the two sensors into one or replace the XJ's ABS computer with teh Dak's computer. will the dak's axle fit under and XJ w/o welding?

I'll look into how kj's use it, but I am betting it is the same as the Dak.
The Dakotas are SUA and six bolt.

to bad you didnt just use a dana 44 from a xj with the abs and shafts and tones from a dana 44 zj

Back