• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AA NP242J SYE kit yoke extension length?

Shadowex275

NAXJA Forum User
I just ordered an Advanced Adapters SYE kit for the NP242j in my 1991 4L Auto XJ with 3 inch OME lift. I'm trying to get an idea of the drive shaft I'm going to need without ordering a custom one if I can avoid it.

I have heard that often people can use a ZJ with auto and np242 front drive shaft. I'm hoping this will be the case for me or even better if I can use an XJ with auto front drive shaft as I already have one extra of those.

I know the length is going to vary from Jeep to Jeep with various lifts and other differences. But if anyone can tell me the length of the AA NP242 SYE kit shaft and fixed yoke that extends from the transfer case body I can use the TC housing as a constant measuring point to get and idea of the driveshaft length I will need for my Jeep.

Thanks

Just order one from tom woods. Shows u how to measure on there website. Same price as everyone else but better quality. You will have by friday if u order today

Buying or having a custom drive shaft from Adams or Tom Woods or the like would be my last resort. I very much prefer the ability to recycle a front drive shaft so that it is both cheep and easy to source from local yards or individuals parting out their Jeeps. Thanks for the input though.

Buying or having a custom drive shaft from Adams or Tom Woods or the like would be my last resort. I very much prefer the ability to recycle a front drive shaft so that it is both cheep and easy to source from local yards or individuals parting out their Jeeps. Thanks for the input though.

But, they are a much weaker shaft for a permanent rear shaft.

Well that's just nonsense. I would take a new shaft over a junkyard shaft any day.

If you end up trying to use a WJ shaft, they're neither cheap nor readily available. Most WJs use non u-joint shafts and the few that do are either already gone or got bent when the loader moved the Jeep around the junkyard.

I used one after I stretched the front on my XJ and when it started getting some play in it because it wasn't really the right length, I just bought new shafts from Adams and don't worry about it anymore. Took me way too long to find the first one, wasn't going to bother trying to find another.

Kept the WJ shaft as a last resort trail spare, so I guess it's worth having but I wish I'd just started with custom driveshafts.

43db23275917ff0de7235781870b992a.jpg

Just following up here on my original post incase anyone else is looking for this information down the road and finds this thread. The Advanced Adapters NP242 SYE kit extends about 7 1/4 inches from the t-case body.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back