• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thread size/pitch of power steering pump/steering gear inlet/outlet?

hotrod22

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know what size and pitch thread are the inlet and outlet holes of the power steering pump and the steering gear? I am referring to where the high-pressure hose on the pump screws in and the other end in the steering gear. I have some hydraulic hoses that I think will work for my hydraulic winch, but I'd like to know if they will thread in before I open up the system and lose fluid/make a mess and then won't work. I may end up getting a couple of adapters from a local hose shop if they aren't the right size.

Whoops! It is a 95 XJ with a 4.0 H.O. Here are a couple pics of the hoses I have and the type fitting on the end. A 3/4" wrench fits the flare nut.

100_1290.jpg

100_1292.jpg

Last edited:
I went to Advance Auto and checked to see if my hose would fit in a new pump and it would not. It appeared to be about 1 size too big. I guess I could go buy the cheaper hose(pressure or return) take it to the hydraulic hose shop to make sure I get the right size reducer. Then return the hose to AA.

Should be M16x1.5 O-ring tube, and M18x1.5 O-ring tube. I don't recall offhand which is which, but I think the larger one is the "out" fitting.

I happen to know this from getting adapters to run the steering gear and pump with -6JIC lines - I needed to adapt the gear after sawing/brazing the pressure line to adapt it...

5-90

Well... I am a dumb@ss! The steering gear end of the hoses I have are larger than the pump end, just like the factory hoses(thanks 5-90) and silly me tried to screw the larger end into the pump at Advance! Duh! After further review with a caliper, my hoses will work just fine! Thanks for the help guys!

Both of those are sizes for the steering gear - in = pressure inlet, out = fluid outlet.

I just haven't gotten around to measuring/classifying the pressure fitting into the pump, and since the pump return fitting is a hose barb, threads obviously don't figure there (although I'm planning on a full -JIC conversion one of these days, modifying a -6 bulkhead fitting to go into the side of the pump.)

One of these days, I'm sure I'll measure the pump outlet threads - I just haven't yet...

5-90

Back