• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

87-95 D35 driveshaft

ehall

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I have a rear driveshaft for an 87-95 XJ with a 4WD AW4 and D35 axle. This will be a direct fit for any other XJ with those properties. Since the D35 pinion is shorter than the 8.25 and the D44, the driveshaft is too long for those axles at stock ride height, but fits good if you have +3" lift. It won't work at all with 96+ XJ (different transfer case output length), or 2WD (different length), or a manual tranny (different length). FWIW I installed new greasable Spicer u-joints a couple of years ago, and the driveshaft is in good condition overall.

It will fit into a FedEx shipping tube and will cost $15-20 to ship.

Here's a pic

Rear_U_Joint_New.sized.jpg

Well I just measured the driveshaft and it shows 31" exactly. It is half an inch longer than the 87-95 AW4 4WD with D35 that I listed here. According to the research I did earlier and the available interchange data, it is for a 93-95 AX15 4WD with a D35.

It will work with an AX15/4WD/D35 at stock ride height, an AX15/4WD/8.25|D44 or an AW4/4WD/D35 with +3 inches of lift, or an AW4/4WD/8.25|D44 with +5 inches of lift.

The AX5 (87-92) is quite a bit shorter than the AX15 so this won't work at all for those. The 2WD drivetrain does not have a transfer case so it will not work for that setup either. And the transfer case output shaft on the 1996 and later XJ is also quite a bit different and this is not compatible with those either.

Back