• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wide track AMC 20 rear axle swap in...?

fuzzydog

NAXJA Forum User
Someone talk me out of this insanity! I've done a lot of searching on the net these days for AMC20 info and I bet that this subject has the most conflicting info on the whole intardweb!
I just picked up a basketcase 1980 Chero Chief with widetrack AMC20 and D44 in the front. i really just wanted a D44 front, but I do want to go full width into my 1990 XJ.
So I have the D44 for the front, but it has 6 on 5.5 bolt pattern. My rear 8.8 has 5 on 4.5 pattern, so why not slip in the widetrack AMC20 while I'm at it?
First of all this is a Chero AMC20, not a CJ so it has the one piece axles and (reportedly) thicker tubes.
A quick look at Randy's R&P and I can get 4.56 or 4.88 R&P and ARB locker for the AMC20.

Never mind the get a Dana60 spiel - I do not want that big of an axle.
Tire size will go up to 35 and possibly 37's.

So, why shouldn't I do this?

I just got rid of a W/T Cherk and the amc 20 in them is just as strong as the 44 I welded mine and and stitched the tubes and ran 35's hard, never had a problem.

That's what I like to hear - real world, this is what I did type of experiences. Thanks for the input unclethumbtack (I bet there's a story behind that nickname...?)

I'm running a 20 Metric ton from an MJ. I am the second owner. It worked well with no problems for the first owner and has been great for me. Both of us have run 285-16s.
I got it after talking to another M20 owner. He never had a problem running 35s.
Yes, the axle tube is larger (if I remember 3") than the CJ version.

Just be ready to dump a bunch of gear oil in that baby.

I run the factory AMC20 that came in the MJ (or some say its really a 23) in my MJ
I have it locked and running 33" tires now and I do push it very hard I dont have any worries.

just get a real diff cover like the one I have, the factory one is really a joke and wont take any abuse at all..none

246400715.jpg

wow what a cool lookin axle.

wow what a cool lookin axle.

I had a 20 in an 83 Chero W/T... good axle. Very different from the CJ one which has the bad rep.

I'd run it, almost kept mine for the axles for my XJ.

Back