• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

One Locker....which axle??

BigNuge

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Question for the experienced locker folks. If one were to do a locker on one axle to start, which one do you do first.

Front or rear??

This would be on a 1999 XJ w/Dana 30 front and 8.25 rear 4.5” lift on 33x1250 tires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trail rig: rear locker first, then later front traction device. Daily driver or more pavement than 4x4 trails, rear locker or Detroit Truetrac first, and later Detroit Truetrac front.

Unless e-lockers have improved their durability, I would not.

What will be the usage ? what is the budget ? If you really want a front locker a selectable locker is best.

If you are only going to use a traction device in one axle, put in the rear. I have done it both ways, front first and rear first, and always recommend the rear axle first. Two reasons why: The rear axle typically has the greatest weight transfer and useable traction on the 4x4 trails, and on pavement a rear locker is the most predictable. The front axle unloads weight to rear on the 4x4 trails, and front lockers in winter weather road driving conditions really suck. They have undesirable behaviors and borderline unsafe behaviors.

Somebody will always chime in that a front locker will pull you up ledges, which is true, but this is not a good enough reason to lock the front axle first. A locked rear axle will push you up nearly any ledge, and as already expalained has better manners and more opportunities to increase traction on the rest of the trail. A front axle locker scratching at dirt on the crest of an obstacle has very little weight on the tires to put the extra traction to good use.

Last edited:
Rear locker first. On both my trail rigs, I run a Detroit Locker in the rear and an Eaton E-Locker in front. Hardly have to use the front locker, but it's nice to have it when I need it.

Having a rear locker makes a huge difference on the trail. My current build will be the same setup. Couldn't be happier with this combination.

So sounds like rear is the best option. Which locker are we looking at then? I’d like an e-locker/something selectable. I want to be able to bring it on when I get it the trail, but shut it off otherwise.

This is a trail rig for moderate off-roading, but want good on-road manners for the ride to the wheeling spots (2-4 hours at times).

ARB and OX lockers are both available for the Chrysler 8.25.

I am running an OX locker in my D44 and am quite happy with it. Cable routing is the key to success if you are going to stick with cable actuated. OX also offers air actuated and electric actuated. Electric still uses a cable, but controls it via solenoid, so routing the cable all the way up to the driver is not such an issue. Air can be run off a paintball sized CO2 tank. Lots of options with the OX locker that don't require on-board air.

So sounds like rear is the best option. Which locker are we looking at then? I’d like an e-locker/something selectable. I want to be able to bring it on when I get it the trail, but shut it off otherwise.

This is a trail rig for moderate off-roading, but want good on-road manners for the ride to the wheeling spots (2-4 hours at times).

Yeah, can't get the Eaton E-Locker for an 8.25. As mentioned before, I really like the Eaton, easy to install, just flip a switch.

Like Anak said, if you want selectable in the rear, have to go with ARB or OX. Both are great choices, but are not as easy as an e-locker.

Still would consider a Detroit or something similar in the rear. I drive my trail rigs on the road and it's never an issue, but then again, I'm old and not too in a hurry! :laugh:

If you aren't driving on the road alot
Trutrac rear and zip/arb/ox front.

If you are going to drive a decent amount on road
ARB/OX front and rear.

You're always going to need to traction in the rear the front you're going to want a selectable locker.

As a few have stated the e lockers don't have the best rep. Maybe they've gotten better I really can't say. Other plus with ARB is OBA. OX locker I think a plus is it's 100% mechanical so no worry about cutting a line or accidentally hitting the switch.

Hmm...

My '93 has Truetracs front and rear, my '01 has ARBs front and rear. Both have 242 transfer cases.

I prefer my '93 for street miles over the '01. It is always in full-time 4wd and I never have to worry about using power in and out of roundabouts on wet days with the Truetracs.

I have a rear ARB in an 8.25, I often think perhaps a front locker would have been more beneficial. I dont have front locker experience, but when the rear locker isnt cutting it, my rig really feels like a front locker may be more beneficial. This could depend on terrain maybe, undercut obstacles ide say are a bit contributor to this.

ide be curious as to what kind of traction to stress ratio either axle would see, if you were only doing one.

btw a selectable locker is awesome, Front or rear.

The JK Rubicon come with an Eaton E-locker which is also manufactured in Australia as Harrop. How bad are they?

I have been beating on an E-Locker in the front for 6 years, never a problem, there was an electric limited slip on the market that was a pos, Ect...something or other, it is likely no longer marketed.

I also had a PowerTrak lunch box in the rear that went to shit after 3 years, my 8.25 is open now and I with only the flip-a-switch front I haven't noticed any lack of ability.

No need to upgrade shafts. Been beating the shit out of my locked D30 for years. Just mash it

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

On my 94 I ran an Aussie up front and that was all. Loved how it wheeled. Wasn’t a daily and I lived in so cal so snow wasn’t a concern (not a daily anyway). Did drive it all the way to Moab and back. Other than the noise on tight turns didn’t notice it.

Was gonna go the same way on my 01 till I lucked into some cheap axles with ARB’s

I have an ECTED in the rear for more than 150,000 miles. It have always worked as it was designed to work. however, I have only used 30 and 32 inch tires on my XJ. My Ected is the second generation. The first generation was a failure. Eaton also made one similar to the ECTED which was taken off the market in short order.

I have a JK Rubicon front D44 to put under the XJ. It have the US Eaton which is said to be a true mechanical locker unlike the ECTED which is a clutched based limited slip until electricity is used to energize the coil to tighten the clutches. I bout it for the limited slip capabilities. The locker option I have used often when off-roading.

The reason for my first post was in response to all that bashing of electric lockers.

Back