• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New oiling project........

Well I have massaged the pan as far as it will go. Tomorrow I will fit the pump for mock-up of the new pick-up tube. In the mean time I received all my fittings and have several configurations I can go with.
P1080721_zpshvw1pqco.jpg

P1080718_zpszs2emwmh.jpg

P1080719_zpsjeakg4hf.jpg

P1080720_zpsfm0j1ivl.jpg

It's the end of a long day! I finally got to bolt the oil pump(primary) into the pan. Besides the work on the pan, my jig took some work. After that I still had to grind on the pump to get any clearance(I will gain more with the pan gasket). I installed the pick-up tube and got the whole thing put together. I painted the area that I need to enter along with a 4qt line. Tomorrow when the suns up I'll get some pics.

I wished I had a spare motor to work with, but I have to deal with it the hard way. If you can see in the pics the blue marks represent the main bearing webs. Now all I need to do is crawl under the jeep to see where I can enter the pan(hope within my window).
P1080725_zpsnfvr3xhj.jpg

P1080722_zpsg5gi2c6p.jpg

P1080723_zpsg0utkjtp.jpg

P1080724_zpsufegfcto.jpg

I spent today under the Jeep and because of the starter my window got pretty narrow(down to less than 3"). Last night I tried to put a 90* bend in some 3/8"-.050" wall chromoly, I almost got it when it kinked(my bender has a 1" radius). I am looking at coming in with a totally straight piece right now but I can also get the thinner wall tubing to test with.

Sunday I finally drilled a penetration into the pan(commitment time) and started fitting a pick-up tube. Straight in didn't work, so I tried a kick in it(close but not quite) so I added another kick. I thought that was a go until I bolted the main pump back in, so I added another kick for a total of 3 - 15* bends and it looks like a go. I'll start the welding tomorrow and take some pics.

Re: oil pan's done

Came out pretty good, my penetration is 3" above the oil level and I tried to mimic the factory p/u while still missing it. The straight AN fitting should clear the starter/oil filter but the 45* fitting definitely will. Now all I have to is find time to install it, in the mean time I have to work on the pump bracket and tap the oil system.
P1080731_zpstpzgxhuz.jpg

P1080732_zpsbd4onyml.jpg

P1080733_zpsjs71rbtp.jpg

P1080734_zpstlg6wn5e.jpg

I'll be working on my bracket today, but in the mean time I received my switch and cable for the dash wiring.
P1080736_zps6tjekdis.jpg

I just finished up the the pump bracket. It mounts to the pass side frame rail motor mount directly below the coolant reservoir on a vertical tab(never knew what that was for). It's a kind of tight fit between the a/c hoses, but it fits!
P1080738_zpsuekumq92.jpg

P1080739_zpsqisatpop.jpg

Today I received what I hope is the last orders to put this all together. I got my weatherproof plug/connector for the pump, a ATO fuse holder for the harness, and a new Pioneer Multi-media receiver(the old Pioneer is going in the other 2000) since I need to get in the center dash section to install the switch. What's nice is the new receiver is only about half the depth and weight.
P1080740_zps9uaazlnj.jpg

pumps in

It came out good with a good amount a space.

P1080741_zpsqohkh7mi.jpg

How about a completely different solution to the issue? How about an oil pressure switch that keeps the ignition from firing until the oil pressure comes up. Rotating the engine while not firing causes very little wear. The pressures from the combustion cause the bulk of the friction. Cranking brings up the oil pressure on its own.

How about a completely different solution to the issue? How about an oil pressure switch that keeps the ignition from firing until the oil pressure comes up. Rotating the engine while not firing causes very little wear. The pressures from the combustion cause the bulk of the friction. Cranking brings up the oil pressure on its own.

See post #4, plus I've been doing it this way for 40 years.

This afternoon I got the pressure line cut and fit-up. It's not very long but that's a good thing. I still have to tap the pressure sender block to tie it in.
P1080743_zpsqrzsztio.jpg

From another thread....
All engines see their most wear at start-up and with a 10k stroker you kind of want to protect that(plus there is the thought of a Turbo which requires after-oiling).

I wanted to add that I'd also like to park this thing vs a DD, that means when I do come out to fire it up I don't want to do anything but push a button. Another side benefit is after a oil change all you have to do is hit the button!

Got a little done this weekend! Got the new stereo installed(it's great) and my push button switch. Got the wiring out to the pump, I will work on the rest tomorrow. I also finished up the pressure tap and installed.
P1080748_zps8qc6gdrc.jpg

P1080749_zpsquafrtpr.jpg

P1080747_zpsgggt2sh5.jpg

Nice work.

Will that allow you to bring your oil filter out the top? Or will you have to remove the oil filter out the bottom? One of the little things I like about these straight sixes is the fact that I don't have to be under the vehicle when I pull off that horizontally mounted oil filter.

Tanks, The filter removal shouldn't change any, I'll take a better pic when I'm done. Today it's cold and rainy but the only thing left to do is finish the wiring(next couple days) and install the pan this weekend to complete this project. I have the pick-up hose done and ready to go.
P1080750_zpsozjcweer.jpg

I'm glad to see you hooked in at the sender fitting for the prelube output instead of modifying a filter adapter, was going to suggest that. Is that a small filter I see connected to it with a 90deg fitting? I hope so.

The only thing I'd worry about in what I'm seeing here is that the flex line from the prelube pump to the inline filter looks like it might be stiffer than the 90 fitting from the filter to the engine. I'd hate to see that 90 stress fracture over time and dump all your oil. I might be overestimating how stiff the flexible line is though.

That red fitting is the check valve, the oil goes in before the filter and #4 braided is very flexible.

I finished up the harness less tying in the power/ground. Today I will remove my RE track-bar brace and tomorrow I will put it up on jack stands, drain the oil, and start removing hardware.
P1080752_zpspgneqvtt.jpg

Back