• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weekend is over...what did you get done?

I tried to post a picture of the MJ but it's been some time since I've done it and I obviously didn't do it right....I gotta figure how to post pictures again...

Well, I got a license plate and insurance for the XJ this week, and drove it a bit. It seems to be getting horrible gas mileage, however, the fuel that was in it had been sitting literally half a decade, and was cut a bit with new gas in the last month or so. I filled it back up yesterday, and now it's legal, so I can drive it a bit and see how it does.
Hopefully I'll get the rearend welded up this weekend, and pick up a windshield from Cottontail, and perhaps reassemble and install the center console.
I need to stop looking at long arm lift kits, one-ton axles friends have for sale, and 38" tires. Have to tell myself this one has to remain a cheap beater for a while....

I got my headlight harness put in and there is a dramatic difference in the lights now, I can actually see, but I still have the issue of all the lights, dash included, dimming a bit when I hit the brake pedal. I got to checking the ground wires and I noticed that there is no ground wire from the block to the firewall. I haven't had a chance to look everywhere to see if the ground is in a different location, but could that be the culprit if there isn't one from the block to the body?

The main ground from the battery only goes to the block. There is not one from the battery to the inner fender either.

This is on an '89 MJ with the 4.0/AW4.

Last edited:
I got my headlight harness put in and there is a dramatic difference in the lights now, I can actually see, but I still have the issue of all the lights, dash included, dimming a bit when I hit the brake pedal. I got to checking the ground wires and I noticed that there is no ground wire from the block to the firewall. I haven't had a chance to look everywhere to see if the ground is in a different location, but could that be the culprit if there isn't one from the block to the body?

The main ground from the battery only goes to the block. There is not one from the battery to the inner fender either.

This is on an '89 MJ with the 4.0/AW4.

Mark, I unplugged my Bulkhead connector and cleaned the goo out of it, and it REALLY improved things like that, my headlights are nice and bright, and never falter. If you're not having to do a ton of work to the fuse box itself, that connector is easy to pull off and clean.
Might be worth your time...

Mark, I unplugged my Bulkhead connector and cleaned the goo out of it, and it REALLY improved things like that, my headlights are nice and bright, and never falter. If you're not having to do a ton of work to the fuse box itself, that connector is easy to pull off and clean.
Might be worth your time...

I'll check that out. I haven't had to do any work to the fuse box itself and the Jeep is really clean so hopefully it will all come apart without me breaking something.

I'll check that out. I haven't had to do any work to the fuse box itself and the Jeep is really clean so hopefully it will all come apart without me breaking something.

There is a small bolt between the 2 plugs on the engine side of the firewall, either an 8mm or 1/4", depending on the mood in the factory that day. unscrew that, and the thing should unplug pretty easily. I cleaned mine with a steel toothbrush and some CRC QD Contact cleaner, then smeared a little dielectric grease and put it back together.

There is a small bolt between the 2 plugs on the engine side of the firewall, either an 8mm or 1/4", depending on the mood in the factory that day. unscrew that, and the thing should unplug pretty easily. I cleaned mine with a steel toothbrush and some CRC QD Contact cleaner, then smeared a little dielectric grease and put it back together.

You make it sound easy and all but what I hear is usually different than the way it actually goes down. :D

I have a really nice Wera Zyklops 1/4" ratchet set with a variety of extensions and swivels and bits that made short work of the small bolt.
From there I just wiggled the connector loose and then emptied my can of contact cleaner and scrubbed and hosed till I was done cussing, and then put it back together, haha.
Don't forget to cuss! :p

Saw my headlight was out in the Commander yesterday, so I went and got a new bulb. When I pulled the old one out, the filament was fine and it wasn't popped. I got looking at the connector and it was fried - looks scorched -where the bulb plugs in.

I have no idea how that might have happened. I have a brake light out too. I wonder if it is the same situation. Guess I need to dig in and see.

Off to the LKQ on the 26th for the 40% off holiday sale!

Changed my oil last night, in the Jeep which was last registered in 2003.
Was a real chore to get the filter off, and it got mutilated pretty good in the process.
Glad to have the peace of mind that clean oil brings, though.

Off to the LKQ on the 26th for the 40% off holiday sale!

What is this Holiday Sale you speak of?????

I just checked LKQ's website and it says the sale runs the 28th and 29th. Looks like Chattanooga has plenty of XJ's and ZJ's, Nashville, not so much. Which yard you going to?

Late to the response here. I was going to go to the Nashville one, when I thought it was on the 26th. I actually don't need any XJ stuff, I need a seat belt female end for my Commander. I have the girls on the 28th and 29th, so if that is the sale date, I may skip it. They didn't have a tan interior XK on the lot last time I was there.

They usually do 40% off for all major holidays.

I got my center console assembled and installed, and replaced my steering wheel with a better looking stock one.
I'm having trouble figuring out why my wipers don't work, but I'm getting there.
Also scored a cheap Bluetooth receiver/radio at the junkyard. If nothing else, it'll fill the hole in the dash.

I got a LED worklight for Christmas. I also have some LED bulbs to go in the center light fixtures in the shop.

We are getting rid of the incandescent bulb that are so hard to reach. I'll have to figure out how to get to them (probably borrow a tractor with a bucket) since they are at the peak of the roof. I also have to figure out how to disconnect the ballast at each fixture. I can't wait to get them installed so I can see what I'm doing.

I LOVE the LED fixtures I put in my shop. Can't wait to get the rest of them done.

Last night I welded up the dana 35 in my xj in preparation for a wheelin trip on New Year's Day. Pretty satisfying to do victory donuts on my own property at 10pm :cool:

I got new window sweeps put in the MJ, both inside and outside. I also put new mirrors on it. The old ones had, had it. I got the rear bumper almost off...well the bumper is off but the drivers side bracket is less than forthcoming. It will not win though...

I may go to the Chattanooga LKQ for their holiday sale. I have a list of items I need and looking at their inventory, they have several vehicles to choose from.

Merry Christmas and I hope everyone got what they deserved......wait, I meant what they wanted.

Back