• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Our AZ, COfest, Moab Trip

Those things are so loud.

I thought I uploaded some video Cindy took with her phone of two of them wrestling/fighting/foreplaying? :dunno:

This was on the way down from Yankee Boy, near the bathrooms. They seem to like the rocky areas.

I thought I uploaded some video Cindy took with her phone of two of them wrestling/fighting/foreplaying? :dunno:

This was on the way down from Yankee Boy, near the bathrooms. They seem to like the rocky areas.

They are Rock Chucks (western groundhog) Marmot .Would look good in my scope.
Did Cindy leave any rocks in Colo. ?

Did Cindy leave any rocks in Colo. ?

Not by choice. I'm saving the pic of all the rocks we brought home for the end, I spent several hours unloading them when we got home.

After meeting up with the folks that had arrived thus far, on Tuesday night, it was decided to run Poughkeepsie on Wednesday. 4 years ago, same jeep but on 31s, not only did I not make it up the one serious obstacle, but my winch controller wiring failed and after spooling out most of my cable, I had to roll it back in by hand after getting pulled up by somebody else's winch.

So I was determined to make it this time, as can be seen in Jake's video.

James starting the climb

He cruised right up, made it look easy...

Cindy's phone vid of me going up...

Jake starting up the optional harder line...

And he made that one look easy too!

lunch stop

A few more pics from that run...

Deer in town

More rock collecting...

We had a great time in Ouray, weather was perfect, scenery was amazing, and got to see some old friends, and meet some new ones. We'd really like to do this every year, if we move to AZ it would be much easier to do so.

Sunday morning we headed for Moab, got there way too early to check in at the Super 8, so we left the truck and trailer in their overflow lot and headed to our favorite rock collecting spot

This time of year, nobody is on the trails, everybody is in Arches NP. Monday we headed there, not early enough, so there was a blocks long line waiting to get in. Hung a quick u-turn and went in via the Willow Springs road. That probably took 2-3 times as long, but we get enough of sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic in the Chicago area, absolutely do not need it while on vacation.

We've been to Arches many times, we were just passing through. The Delicate Arch road continues as a 4wd road and exits the park not far past the viewpoint.

The road follows a wash as it exits the park. We had found some interesting rocks there previous time, found a few more but nothing great.

Some weird colored landscape out there...

So while looking at google maps I noticed another canyon next to our favorite rock collecting one, that also showed a road into it. We thought it might have similar rocks, and being less traveled, might have more of them.

It did. We had to leave this one there though...

I'm just not as strong as I used to be...

I'd guess it was at least three, probably four hundred pounds or more. Thought about winching it up the embankment by the side of the road, then sliding it down into the back of the jeep. But not only was it way too hot to go through all that effort, it's also illegal to collect petrified wood pieces that large without a permit.

Saw this little guy near another much smaller piece we found...

OK, last few pics, been so busy it's been hard to post a few here and there.
Our last day in Moab, we decided to head to Canyonlands NP via Long Canyon.

Got an early start, still working on our coffee when we neared the top...

The views were great, but the sun was in the wrong place for good pics...

And then when we got to Canyonlands it got really cloudy...

Mesa Arch

Took the Shafer trail back to Moab

Went to town, had lunch at Quesadilla Mobilla, hit every store in town that looked interesting, then went to Moab Brewery for dinner.

Loaded the jeep on the trailer, everything we didn't need overnight in the van, and hit the road about 6:00 AM next morning. Made it to Lincoln NE that night, home early next afternoon.

Then began the job of unloading the van, jeep, and trailer...

Anyone care to guess how many pounds of rocks?

DSC00953.jpg

Where was this taken? It looks familiar but I can't place it.

Went to town, had lunch at Quesadilla Mobilla, hit every store in town that looked interesting, then went to Moab Brewery for dinner.

Loaded the jeep on the trailer, everything we didn't need overnight in the van, and hit the road about 6:00 AM next morning. Made it to Lincoln NE that night, home early next afternoon.

Then began the job of unloading the van, jeep, and trailer...

Anyone care to guess how many pounds of rocks?
I say 1000 lbs +

Plus a lot!

That pic was along Imogene, near the tree line on the Ouray side

You should have taken her up Mt. Antero. Some valuable rocks up there.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Back