• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hoping to save this event somehow.....

YELLAHEEP

NAXJA Forum User
I've been reading all of your posts and many of you have valid concerns. Please understand that my intention here is not to criticize or belittle any of you for what you have posted here regarding cancelling this event.

My intention is to encourage as many of you as I can to keep your plans and come out here anyway.

I just spoke with the people at Three Rivers Resort where I have reserved a cabin for this event. They had some encouraging information about their proximity to the fires and the fact that the Gunnison area is not being affected by ANY of the fires burning as of this date. They say the Taylor River is still running high enough for quality rafting and they have been getting rain -- but do admit that it is the dryest it's been in a few years.

I realize that many of you were planning on tent camping and the fire ban puts a damper on the whole experience. My research has led me to believe that there are no plans by the Forest service to close any of the Taylor Park area due to the dry conditions. I realize that Gov. Owens has said he's prepared to make closures as needed for preventative measure -- but that's no different than in any Summer here in Colorado.

If there are any of you -- Coloradoans or other -- that still want to make this thing happen, I propose we get together and use this post as a sort of "sign up list" so we can get an idea of the number of people still willing to make a go of it out there. Just a simple reply like "I'm in!" then we will be able to begin making some plans. Time is of the essence though.

I saw Grant's post about his tour of trails idea. That sounds fantastic and I hope many of you take advantage of his idea. I however don't relish the primitive camping thing so for those of you that may want cabins or tent/RV spaces, let me encourage you to visit www.3riversresort.com. They still have several hotel rooms, tent/rv spaces available and some cabins as well. You'll see from their website that this resort would make an ideal Headquarters site as it has a gas station, general store and a deli on site. Plus it has bathroom/shower facilities and playgrounds for the kiddies.

More importantly, Three Rivers website has a link to a map of where the fires are and say they'll be updating it often. From their homepage, click on the "maps and directions" link then scroll down to the big blue "fire update" link to see the latest map.

So whaddya say? Can we get a group together and revive this event to some degree?

I'm in!!!

Troy "YELLAHEEP" Betka

I'm [i:7b40b07570][b:7b40b07570]probably[/b:7b40b07570][/i:7b40b07570] in, going that direction anyhow. I have not cancelled my reservations at Taylor Creek Reservoir CG as yet, going to check my maps for the location of 3 Rivers Resort. Give me a shout backchannel with contact info as I'll be on the road beginning 8 July with uncertain internet access. I'm "roughing it" in a 30' Winnebago :oops:

As for the official event it's a done deal: It's off. I didn't want to do it but with the uncertainties of the weather and conditions plus having to make a decision early because of peoples schedules left no other choice, we simply could not come down to the wire and then cancel the official run with a day or two to go.
That said I am still have my reservations at Lakeview CG and I'm still going to CO for about two weeks unless they close the Taylor region. I will decide where to go once I get there. I do want to run some of the trails that Grant has proposed for the smaller non-official group, but would be more than willing to lead trails on a day by day basis for anyone interested.

Bones

It's looking like monsoon is starting to happen on schedule. There are flash flood warnings in the Hayman burn area due to heavy rain right now. There is also scattered rain over a lot of Colorado. Our forecast is starting to look typical - a chance of afternoon thunderstorms every day.

The alpine regions are still going to be gorgeous, and there are no burn areas anywhere even close. Hell, depending on the fate of my current fraudulent employer, WorldCom, I might even still be in the area.

Wandering around Colorado with a group will be an absolute blast.

Nay

Back