• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who's going to CO?

Goatman

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Troy, I'll go ahead and start a new thread for this discussion.

I'll be there the same dates as originally planned. I'm arriving Monday afternoon, July 29, and will be there through the next Monday. It appears to me that fire is not going to be a concern, other than the same unexpected risk there might be at many other times. I would also like to have some idea of what we might do, so we can make the proper camping plans. I still have my reservations at the Taylor Resevoir campground for the whole week, but I'd gladly change them to be close to trails that we might run.

I'm looking forward to the great alpine scenery, wheeling some fun trails, seeing old friends and meeting some new ones. I'd like to run at least one high elevation pass, and Holy Cross Trail and Iron Chest look interesting from the info and pics I've seen on the web. I'd be open to a run up Blanca, but if it's out of the way and we run the other trails, I'd be happy without it. IF anyone is interested, I'd like to run 21 Road or a trail in Montrose, but it's not necessary.

Richard G

I'm in too

We will be there too. We are staying the same place Troy and shary are, Three Rivers (IIRC). I am not sure exactly when we will be there, Wednesday for sure though. We may get there earlier. I think we are going to make our way out there on a very relaxed pace and may go through SD to let the kids see Mount Rushmore.

In any event we are in.

B-loose

not going to be able to make it, however........

Goatee, have you got any of my emails? Need to get in contact with you, email me please.

mac '[email protected] or [email protected]' gyvr

Hey Richard -- glad to hear you'll be there! I'm looking forward to this in a big way. I am totally unfamiliar with the area and every trail/location will be a new experience. I've been building a new rig so I'm anxious to do some challenging trails, but will also enjoy the easier ones since the views are sure to be well worth it!
I'm willing to help with any plans or arrangements so if you can think of what would be helpful be sure to let me know.
Three Rivers Resort is where we and Bloose's clan will be staying. It has good facilities for group dinners or gathering if it works out. Anyone interested should check out their website www.3riversresort.com .
See you there!

I'd recommend a change in location for an informal group - Taylor is only going to buy you a bunch of extra travel time each day. Check out this site for alternate spots closer to the trails you want to run.

http://www.coloradocabins.com

You can match that up with the trails on

http://www.funtreks.com

And set a daily trails/camping/lodging plan.

Richard, if scenery is what you want in terms of running a pass, then do Montrose for a day and then do Imogene Pass, Black Bear, or the Alpine loop in the San Juans for a day. If you want to stay in central CO, then plan on doing Pearl Pass from Aspen (making Taylor a central point if you don't want to change spots makes sense if this is on your schedule).

The Taylor/Pearl/Italian Creek loop is incredible - just make sure to contact the forest service about snow pack. Pearl doesn't ever clear in many years, and even in drought it may not be clear in July. Wish I could be there :x

Nay

I'll be there. But where is there? I should arrive on 7/28 or 7/29. It depends on how long the drive is. I'll need to leave on 8/3. I'm happy to bounce around the state, camping at different spots. Camping at Taylor the whole time seems to be more trouble than it's worth. As for trails, I'd like to see a couple of tough ones in the mix.

Eric, Dad and I will be there sometime on the 29th, and we'll be leaving on Mon the 5th. Grant suggested running Holy Cross, Iron Chest, and MT Blanca......sounds good to me. We'll still need to be flexible, and I hope we can hook up with some of the CO XJ'ers for some trails on the weekend. We just need to see who all is going to be there, and figure out where to camp.

We'll miss you on Swamp, looks like we can easily have 20+ this year.

See you in 3 weeks. :)

Richard G

20+ on Swamp!?! Wow, that's getting as crowded as the Easter Safari. You should invite some vendors, maybe have a raffle or something. I like the sound of the trails that you mentioned for CO. I'm always flexable, if not always patient. I think that I'll probably also arrive on the 29th, so for me it's just a matter of setting a rendevous of Monday.

Back