• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WTF - To those who replied to stray thread

XJ Dreamin'

NAXJA Forum User
Wow! I was going to preview a reply to post to my neighborhood stray thread when my relationship to NAXJA went haywire. I backed out, deleted cookies, rebooted and now the thread seems to have disappeared.

No great loss. It was only a lark anyway. I'm glad I was able to get back here at all. Thanks to those who were able to respond. Very reasonable and humane lot, here. As am I, actually. I was only looking for something creative to web-vent my frustration with negligent pet owners.

Thanks anyway.

I had just assumed the thread was deleted.

It seems that NAXJA attracts more dog lovers than cat people.

zandiintruck.jpg

This is Zandi, she turns 5 in July and loves to travel.

I also am frustrated by negligent pet owners. The people that live down the street from our complex have a little chihuahua that he lets run loose. It comes down and poos in our area and he just calls it back and goes inside. Yeah its just little baby turds but come on, I don't want any extra turds hangin around my area...

BlackSport96 said:
I also am frustrated by negligent pet owners. The people that live down the street from our complex have a little chihuahua that he lets run loose. It comes down and poos in our area and he just calls it back and goes inside. Yeah its just little baby turds but come on, I don't want any extra turds hangin around my area...

Many municipalities have cleanup laws, you should look into that and ask him to pick up after his dog. It is part of responsible pet ownership.

Lawn Cher' said:
I had just assumed the thread was deleted.

It seems that NAXJA attracts more dog lovers than cat people..

I can appreciate that. I wouldn't actually do anything to a dog or cat unless directly threatened with bodily harm. As animals they are dumb and thereby innocent. The owner on the other hand, being human, should be held responsible. Further down the street a friend has had trouble with other dogs from a neighbor of his. They have frequently threatened his kids. He talked to the Sheriff's office who told him to go ahead and shoot the animals but expect to have to compensate the owner. If your neighbor threatened you with his gun you could have him thrown in jail. Hell, you could kill him with no expectation of indictment, but if he threatens you with a dog there is nothing you can do. The one at my end of the street hasn't been a threat, but the whole situation is frustrating.

Anyway, sorry if I offended anyone. If the thread was removed...no offence here :kissyou: .

Take care.

Labs are great. Bailey will be 7 on Sept. 1st.

100_0730.jpg

Lawn Cher' said:
zandiintruck.jpg

This is Zandi, she turns 5 in July and loves to travel.

Very pretty. I don't have a picture of Seri here (for Serendipity: at finding her unexpectedly). I'll PM one to you later. She is a deeper red than Zandi, about 38# with legs a little too short for her body. I found her out in the woods in 1992 when she was about 10 weeks old, weighed 3#, and had no fur. Today she's a little gray around the muzzle but still likes to stalk squirrels, which she has never caught (legs too short). She stays in the back yard, where she belongs, when not in the house or travelling, which she also likes to do.

So, yes I am a dog lover and, no I wouldn't have done anything and , yes I see the reason for deleting the thread.

Thanks for the pictures.

Haleyes said:
Labs are great. Bailey will be 7 on Sept. 1st.

100_0730.jpg

Nice doggy bed :laugh3: . At first I thought it was leather but then I realized if it were, he would have eaten it.

Beautiful dog. I love black labs. So sleak and shiny.

A few years ago the neighbors on each side of us each had a tom cat. The boundary between their territories seemed to be dead in the center of our front porch. Every few weeks they would meet right outside our son's bedroom window (the window sill is only 12" off the deck) and scare the pee out of him. That went on for nearly a year before one of them moved on.

Anyway, if I can get hold of this dog I'll take him to a shelter I know in another town. It's a volunteer run, no-destruction shelter. I'll just have to lie about where I found him so he doesn't come back here.

Michael Jackson to Judge:

You honor, I'm "dumb and thereby innocent."

:laugh3: :laugh3: :laugh3:

RTicUL8 said:
Michael Jackson to Judge:

You honor, I'm "dumb and thereby innocent."

:laugh3: :laugh3: :laugh3:

Sorry, Mike. That only applies to dumb, innocent animals. Of course, that doesn't mean that the animal wouldn't be put down, if there were cause.

We have a cat problem here, wild feral house type cats that are multiplying like crazy. Result is the rabbit, chipmunk, squirrel and other small wild animals have almost been wiped out. If it does not have a collar on it I consider it fair game. The ones with collars get a paint ball or two. After the cat comes back bright red, yellow or blue the neighbors get the idea. I'm sick and tired of the cat foot prints on the seats and them using the wet okolies for scratching posts. Does make the garbage can heavier though...

Roll-over said:
That's still cruel! Think about the poor dog's seperation anxiety! :D

Well he's not spending much time at home as it is. It's a no-destruction shelter. They'll clean him up and find him a home with people that care.

RichP said:
We have a cat problem here, wild feral house type cats that are multiplying like crazy. Result is the rabbit, chipmunk, squirrel and other small wild animals have almost been wiped out. If it does not have a collar on it I consider it fair game. The ones with collars get a paint ball or two. After the cat comes back bright red, yellow or blue the neighbors get the idea. I'm sick and tired of the cat foot prints on the seats and them using the wet okolies for scratching posts. Does make the garbage can heavier though...

Back home, in the Missouri River bottomland, we get these cityslicker rabbit hunters who come out there in the fall with their brand new rabbit hounds. They open the car door and the dog takes off and they never see it again. We, however, have to live with them forever. You can here them in the evenings coursing around down by the river on most evenings. They come around and raid the trash. Our vet even had his own rabbit hound jumped by a pack of them: hound dogs on hound dog. He jumped in and beat them off. He was so upset, he didn't realize until after he'd gotten his dog back to the clinic and patched up, that he'd been using his shotgun to beat off the pack: swinging it by the barrel!! Chambered!!! His dog survived...and so did he :laugh3:

That's a hilarious pic :)

I've been thinking about getting a puppy.. (Yellow Lab or an aussie or possibly a border collie) but being that I live in an apartment I would feel really guilty leaving a pet at home alone in a little cramped place. So I'm going to wait til I get settled into a place.

I have a neighbor below me whose dog has the whole separation anxiety thing and she HOWLS..... it's pretty annoying, and after dealing with that if I have a dog, training, attention and good behaviour will be 1st priority.

Citat3962 said:
That's a hilarious pic :)

I've been thinking about getting a puppy.. (Yellow Lab or an aussie or possibly a border collie) but being that I live in an apartment I would feel really guilty leaving a pet at home alone in a little cramped place. So I'm going to wait til I get settled into a place.

I have a neighbor below me whose dog has the whole separation anxiety thing and she HOWLS..... it's pretty annoying, and after dealing with that if I have a dog, training, attention and good behaviour will be 1st priority.

Speaking from experience, I'd wait. I found Seri when I was in an apartment. I figured I'd keep her only until I knew whether she would survive (she was in baaad shape). That was 13 years ago. I had to pay extra deposit (I had $450 down on that place) and I was surprised to get any of it back. She chewed 4 holes in the walls and three holes in the carpet. I would take her out to the park every day, but there was no way to keep her active enough to satisfy her. When we got her to a house with a fenced back yard she wore bare dirt tracks through the lawn running around keeping tabs on everything that went on in the neighborhood. She'll be 13 this summer but you can still make out her track-ways in the backyard.

I liken it to the big cats at the St. Louis Zoo. When I was a teen, the cats were still in the concrete and iron pens built for the 1904 Worlds Fair. You could go and watch the cats pacing back and forth, growling and yowling. Then the zoo built "Big Cat Country." Huge sunken, landscaped pits. Now you can go and watch the cats sleep all friggin' day. Boring as heck. Big difference a little extra space made to the mental health of those cats.

Wil Badger said:
i love my pup

348puphat-med.JPG

Might want to trim those ears :laugh3:

Funny dog story:

My brother worked in Egypt. My folks had a cockapoo. When my brother returned from Egypt he brought a footrest (I forget the correct name for it) made of camel hide. My dad put it in the livingroom in front of his easy chair. The cockapoo came in to check it out, stuck his nose right up to it and jumped back! He started growling and backed himself clean out of the livingroom into the hall where he layed down to keep an eye on it, growling the whole time. For days the cockapoo would not come into the livingroom. He'd sidle by the doorway out in the hall, growling as long as he could see the footrest.

One day I'm sitting in dad's chair, reading with my feet on the floor, the footrest out in front. Here comes the cockapoo, sneaking in around the door frame. He sleanked his way around the room, stalking the footrest. I sat vewy, vewy quiet. After about five minutes he was aproaching the great, fearful, camel footrest. Just as he got his nose right up there, almost touching the footrest...

...I kicked it.

He gave a squeal, jumped back, and scrambled for the door. On the hardwood floor it took him a good 5 seconds to cover 15 feet. My folks told me later, it was three months before he would go into the livingroom again. He never did like that footrest. Even years later.

Back