• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Carnage

Ecarlcl

NAXJA Forum User
What can i do about this? Any suggestions?
picture012.jpeg

The lock has been pried out of the door. I have another door but it needs a few dents taken our of it. Does anyone have any advice? Ive never worked with sheet metal before.

Thanks

If you have another door I'd swap the parts. You can have it fixed, but with lack of knowledge of bodywork/sheetmetal it's probably going to be easier to swap the other door on...

Good luck..

Kejtar said:
I think someone posted a while back some pics of how they put a plate on the doors to protect the lock.
Several companies sell kits to add a protective anti-pry plate over the locks, but they are based on the premise that the lock is solidly installed. Looks from the photo like there's nothing left to back up the escutcheon, so the lock is flopping around loose.

www.eastwood.com has a tool that is made for straightening the metal for locks. Otherwise hit JC Whitney and get one of their beauty plates to go over the outside and hold the lock.

In reality, if you aren't familiar with metal working and paint, you might be better off to go junk yard shopping and try to find a door in the same color for a swap.

My Jeep was that way, thery ripped out the lock from the door and f'd up the door. I reworked the door with some tack welding and bondo. IT came out close to perfect. I just bought a new lock mechanism from the dealer for like $12. I took the mechanism to the locksmith and had a few keys made for it to match the pass side.
Look close and you can see
picture.JPG

picture.JPG

Remember that the lock itself is held into the door by a spring clip on the back. It doesn't look as if the hole was enlarged that much. The thieves must have managed either to break the spring clip or wiggle it off. I think if you could straighten out the hole with a hammer and dolly, it probably wouldn't work too badly to get a new lock and a new spring clip and put them in. This is assuming that the hole isn't expanded too much or torn too much - otherwise the lock will be vulnerable to being punched inward.

I think its causing the whole door to rust out. Ever since it got stolen, more and more rust has been appearing on that door. So I managed to get a clean one off of a 95 in the salvage yard. but its white and the rest of my jeep is black. Is there any online resources that would help me prep and paint the replacement door?

thanks

oh and I do have a new cylinder in there, but it just sits in there for ease of egress/ingress. Its going to be a trail monser eventually, so Im not looking to put a whole lot of money into the cosmetics.

Ecarlcl said:
oh and I do have a new cylinder in there, but it just sits in there for ease of egress/ingress. Its going to be a trail monser eventually, so Im not looking to put a whole lot of money into the cosmetics.
In that case -- sand with 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper to kill the gloss, wipe down thoroughly with Prep-Sol or equivalent to remove all dirt, dust, grease and finger marks, shoot a bit of primer on any bare metal, then spray bomb it with some Rustoleum gloss black.

or should i use some duplicolor of the apropriate color code? what should i glue the molding to the "new" door with? its got that thick plastic molding that goes all the way around the bottom. Are there any online metal working resources? My junkyard door needs a littel tlc.

Thanks guys

Back